Camarillo Academy of Progressive Education
Homework (Extended Learning Opportunity) Policy
Homework has a place in the educational program at CAPE. Homework should be designed to positively reinforce, develop, and/or expand content knowledge. We carefully consider the students’ needs when planning homework to make home assignments an integral part of the child’s educational experience.
Homework that is meaningful in content will be assigned on a regular basis, Monday through Thursday. The time allotted to complete homework for 5th graders is to be 50 minutes. An additional twenty minutes of reading is also required.
Research strongly suggests that parents have an important role to play in providing an opportunity for students to complete homework. However, the research is also clear that parents should not assume responsibility for the actual completion of the student’s homework.
Students will write their nightly assignments in their agenda book that will be taken home each night and returned the next day with the completed homework assignment. The homework will also be posted on the class website: http://TeacherWeb.com/CA/CAPE/McCrory5thGrade/ , and for Mrs. Liddell, http://TeacherWeb.com/CA/CAPE/Liddell/
One of the expectations of being a 5th grader is to be accountable and responsible for one’s work; it is expected that the homework assignments will be completed and returned when due in order to check for understanding. This means that the student’s work will include all the criteria students need to follow when turning in assignments. (The criteria are inside the students’ binders, posted in the classroom, on the back of this handout, and listed on the website.)
If a student is absent, he/she will have an extra day to complete the assignment and will not have the consequences listed below. Students are also encouraged to attend OTI to complete upcoming homework if they know they might be too busy to complete the assignment at home that evening.
Consequences of not turning in homework or turning in homework that does not meet the criteria:
1. The student will attend OTI (Opportunity to Improve), turn in the assignment by the end of the day to receive partial credit.
2. Students will still be held accountable for turning in the assignment if the assignment is not submitted at the end of the day.
3. If homework is turned in without including all criteria, it will not be accepted. The student will receive the above consequences.
Parents: Receiving and completing the homework assignment is the students’ responsibility, NOT your responsibility.
At certain times parent signatures are required on tests and reading logs. It is the student’s responsibility to have it signed by the due date. If it is not, the student will need to attend OTI.
Criteria for Assignments
- Name, number, date, and, if needed, title/page number are in the correct area of the paper. For Math, include the time on all assignments
- Legible cursive is required on all assignments. Use of the computer is acceptable.
- Correct spelling is used.
- Correct grammar and punctuation is expected.
- Work is complete, and turned in on time.
- Directions have been followed.
- If any of the above criteria is not followed, the assignment will not be accepted.