To Kill a Mockingbird- Harper Lee
English 1 Unit
1. What do you stand for?
2. What are you willing to stand up for?
Final Assessment: Literary Response Essay
Lessons & Homework
Friday, November 8th
Kick off: What are your 4 "stand up" issues? In other words, what are 4 things you feel passionante enough about to stand up and take someone on about?
Carousel questions: quiet writing
"Rock-Star" Group Carousel- travel around the room and discuss questions on the wall. Come up with a response as a group that you will record. Be prepared to share out. These questions will be themes/topics/events we will discuss throughout the unit.
HW: Read chapters 1 and 2 of To Kill a Mockingbird
. Be prepared for a quiz next time we meet. Bring SSR book too :)
Wednesday, November 13th
1. Kick-Off: Think about your childhood and your neighborhood. What is your favorite memory and where in your neighborhood did this take place?
2. Quiz Chapters 1-2
3. Literary Device Pair Share- share out
4. Neighborhood Project-- analysis of Harper Lee's description of Maycomb.
--Neighborhood and creative writing piece
HW; Chapters 3 and 4, Neighborhood drawing and writing piece due Weds 11/20
1. Kick-off: Who is your favorite character so far and why?
2. Quiz chapters 3 and 4, and also lit devices!
3. Time to complete Neighborhood Project- access to lab for typing.
HW: Neighborhood pieces due (map and paragraph) and read chapter 5
1. Kick-off: Miss Maudie says to Scout, "Atticus Finch is the same in his house as he is on the public streets"(46). What does this mean?
2. Quiz Chapter 5- 1 question
3. Maycomb Map- using Harper Lee's descriptions to layout the town and understand where key events took place & why.
4. Grade Reflection: Analysis of OMAM assessment/feedback and overall current grade in English1.
HW: Chapter 6- yes there will be a quiz
Grade Reflection with parent signature
Any make up work from last 2 weeks due Friday- including rewrite of OMAM paragraph if you received a 37 or below.
Friday, November 22
1. Kick-off: Look at page 50. Do a close reading of the passage at the bottom of page 50/top of 51 and see if you can figure out what is happening with Mr. Avery. Circle words that show you know...
2. Quiz chapter 6
3. "Tiptoeing around th Radley House" paragraph activity
4. Film if time up to where we've read.
HW: Read through chapter 8 (7 & 8= 16 pages)
Be ready for a quiz on chapters 1-8 Tuesday
Log 3 events on the purple "The Great Character Reveal" handoutMonday, December 2
1. Kick Off: Do you agree or disagree with the statement: "Smart people don't have to try hard in school". Explain why.
2. Mindset Quiz
3. Cornell Notes
4. Article: "You Can Grow Your Intelligence"
HW: If you haven't finished the GIST, do so. Make sure you've read thru chapter 9.
Wednesday, December 4
1. Kick-Off: Turn to page 84. Describe what Scout does to Francis, when, and why.
2. Quotation Craziness: In your table groups you will take cornell notes on the questions about the quote in the envelope. You will rotate when Ms. T says and do the same for the rest of the quotations at each table. you will be responsible for your entire team understanding all quotations as I will call on groups and use "numbered heads" to have specific students share out. Team points!
3. Begin Ch. 10- Ms. T read :)
HW: Finish Ch 10- quiz Fri
Monday, December 9
In your eyes, was Jem’s “temper tantrum” in Mrs.
Dubose’s yard appropriate/justified or inappropriate? Explain your reasoning.
Describe Jem’s punishment for his actions.
2. Chapter 12: Read aloud and discuss
3. Grade Check: You will leave class knowing exactly where you stand grade wise
HW: Read Chapter 13 (Pages 127-134)