|Home | Announcements | Homework | Calendar | Newsletter | Class Schedule | Book Report Form | Summer Reading 2013 | Supply List 2013 | Science | Spanish | Star of India Pics #1 | Star of India Pics #2 | Links | The Nativity School website | Fifth Grade Handbook | Email|
5th Grade Science 2012-13
Welcome to an exciting year of Science. Students will be encouraged to be fully engaged in science both in and out of the classroom. Science is a natural curiosity. Science is being observant and wondering why. Every child is born a scientist, and my goal is to nurture and develop those natural talents and grow future scientists and engineers. Throughout the school year we will be participating in a variety of learning opportunities including, hands-on labs, sharing web based resources, video, a wide variety of informational texts, guest speakers and field trips. In addition to the science content taught during the year it is also vitally important that students continue to strengthen their academic informational text reading skills (comprehension), their writing skills (including note taking) and short response answers as well as their ability to communicate verbally and work well as a member of a collaborative team.
If you have any information about science activities in the community that you would like to share with the class or any questions regarding 5th grade science, please contact Mrs. Hardy via email at email@example.com.
Our 5th grade curriculum is based on California Science Content Standards, Diocesan Content Standards and the Common Core Language Arts Standards for Reading in the Technical Subject Areas.
1st Quarter Focus: Getting Ready for Science & Space Science
Getting Ready for Science
- What tools do scientists use?
- What inquiry skills do scientists use?
- How do scientists record and interpret data?
- What is the Scientific Method?
- How have scientists explored space?
- What was the “Space Race” and what were the historic milestones?
- What is the Sun?
- What makes up our Solar System?
- What holds our moon and all the planets in place?
2nd Quarter Focus: Earth Science
The Water Cycle
- How does water move from Earth to the air and back again?
- How do Californians get the water they need?
- How can people conserve water?
- How does the uneven heating of Earth affect weather?
- How do oceans and the water cycle affect weather?
- How is weather predicted?
- What are the causes and effects of severe weather?
3rd Quarter Focus: Physical Science
Elements and Compounds
- What are atoms and elements?
- What are metals?
- What are the properties of some common substances?
- How are chemical and physical properties used?
- What are Chemical reactions?
4th Quarter Focus: Life Science
Structures of Living Things
- How do organisms transport materials?
- How do the circulatory and respiratory systems work together?
- How do the organs of the digestive system work together?
- How do plants and animals rid themselves of wastes?
- How are materials transported in vascular plants?
- How do cells get the energy they need?
If you have any questions regarding 5th grade science, please contact Mrs. Hardy via email at firstname.lastname@example.org