Room Parent Coordinators Jenna Roman and Michelle Monigal
tel:949-241-6666ROOM PARENT JOB DESCRIPTIONWhat is the job of a Room Parent?Room parents collaborate with the teacher to coordinate events and projects for the classroom. You are not expected to do everything yourself, delegate and recruit parents to assist with classroom activities and projects. What may I be asked to help organize?
What should I do first?Schedule a meeting with your teacher as soon as possible to learn his/her preferences and needs regarding parent participation for the various events throughout the year. When meeting with the teacher be sure to do the following:
- Classroom celebrations throughout year such as Holiday and End of Year Celebrations
- Class Roster – the teacher typically collects contact information for each family at Back to School Night. Your teacher may ask you to compile a roster for distribution to the parents. Parent contact information is confidential and for school use only, sales solicitation is strictly prohibited.
- Hula for Moola Class Art Project
- Special Weeks – Dr. Seuss Week, Red Ribbon Week, Book Fairs, etc.
- Staff Appreciation Week Door Poster and related activities
- Class Yearbook Page
Some things to keep in mind:
- Set the dates for celebrations, if possible. Optional, Parent Mixer at beginning of year
- Ask the teacher to keep you informed of any new or exiting students.
- Determine if any children have dietary restrictions
- Determine snack preferences for celebrations
- Appoint a class photographer to capture all the wonderful moments in class. These photos are also great for an end of year gift for the teacher and for the Yearbook later in the year.
- Some teachers will wish to keep celebrations very simple to avoid interrupting instructional time, while others prefer a more relaxed atmosphere. Respect the teacher’s preferences.
- Include the teachers and the classroom assigned staff member when serving snacks.
- Volunteering in class is not the time to talk about your child’s progress; you are there to set up, volunteer and clean up.
- Make sure to ask the teacher for permission to bring younger children when helping.
- Any and all information and observations regarding the children or families is to be kept strictly confidential.
Please check the calendar page on the PTA website and school website!