Study Guide for Constitution to Civil War
1. Who was John Locke and is he related to Declaration of Independence?
2. What was Common Sense?
3. Who was King George III? What did he do to anger colonists? Are some of these abuses addressed in the Bill of Rights?
4. What were the Articles of Confederation?
5. What was the Great Compromise?
6. What was the 3/5 Compromise?
7. What was the Reconstruction Era?
8. What is separation of powers?
9. What is judicial review?
10. What were the issues that the Framers (writers) of the Constitution had to reach a compromise over? (there are 2 big ones)
11. What were the Federalists in favor of? Anti-Federalists against?
12. Put these in order: Bill of Rights added to Const., US Constitution ratified (approved), Constitutional Convention was held in Philadelphia, Declaration of Independence written
13. Why didn’t the Anti-federalists approve of the Constitution at first?
14. Why was the Bill of Rights added to the Constitution?
15. What was the Dred Scott case about? The outcome?
16. What are the different ways that the government is divided? Think of the chart.
17. What is federalism?
18. What was the abolitionist movement about? Who were some key abolitionists?
19. What was the Judiciary Act of 1789? What did it establish?
20. Why was the separation of church and state created in the first amendment to the Constitution?