(Before I Was Born)
In the last hundred years, technology has been expanding at a
blinding fast pace. As humanity gains more knowledge, older technologies are
improved and new ones are invented. Sometimes these new technologies are
something that has never been seen before, but usually the new technologies
are merely an improvement of something that has already existed for awhile.
An example of this is something we take for granted every day; the
cellular telephone. Wireless technology has allowed a communication device
wired to a network of such devices to be freed from the network and used
almost anywhere in a network that is a combination of radio and telephone.
This exploration of technology is designed to allow you to explore the
roots or precursors of the technology we enjoy today.
Learn about a technological invention which was created between the years
of 1900 and 1940.
1) Describe in 350 words or more the invention you have found that was created
between the years of 1900 and 1940.
2) Use a computer program such as Microsoft Word, Simple Text, TextEdit, to
create your document.
3) All spelling, grammar, and punctuation norms will be followed. (use spell
4) Include at least two pictures in your document that describe or illustrate
the invention you have found. You may copy the pictures from the internet if
the website you get them from permits it.
5) Cite the source or sources for your information: Provide at least two
internet sources with working links that can be verified.
The website Wikipedia is not an acceptable source for this assignment.
6) Your work may be done in class, or at home if you choose.
Total points for this project: 200
Body of essay:
350 words or more that answer the four basic W’s:
What it is
Who invented it
When it was invented
Where or why it was invented
1) Answer the “W” questions competently
2) A complete bibliography ( two or three sources from the Internet with
working, verifiable links)
3) Weave the for W’s into a smooth, attractive, convincing essay.
4) You may submit it through your eTUSD email if you choose.
5) If you use an application other than MS Word, Text Edit, Simple Text, or
Wordpad, save it as text only. Exceptionally outstanding work will earn extra
Copying and pasting vast quantities of blather from the internet is called
cheating; it does not fit the qualification of "exceptionally outstanding."
Before beginning, choose your technological device and register it with
the instructor. Once a device has been chosen, it may not be used by another
It is better to choose to do this assignment early in the semester
instead of waiting- the most obvious inventions will have been chosen and it
will be more difficult to do if you wait.
There are many printed works available that can be used as sources for
Use the common methods for identifying your source documents.
The website Wikipedia may not be used as a source for this project.
Check the list below to see which inventions have already been selected. This
list will be updated bi-weekly.
Inventions chosen as of 4/24/13--