Every Monday, students will be given an assignment log. This will be kept
in a 3-ring binder and carried between home and school every day. Students
will record any unfinished assignments to be completed at home, as well as
that evenings homework assignments. Assignments are due the following day,
with the exception of Problem of the Week, and long term projects. Parents
need to sign their child's assignment log every night. Time spent on
homework should average around 30 - 45 minutes at the beginning of the
Students are also expected to read every night. At Back To School
Night you will be given a list of book reports and the type of book that
needs to be read for these. (This information can also be found on the
website). This is done be sure that your child is exposed
to a variety of genre. Time spent reading should be at least 20 minutes
Please let us know of any homework difficulties you are having with
your child. These assignments should not be difficult, as they are to be
review and reinforcement of lessons that have been taught in the classroom.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR HASSLE FREE HOMEWORK
1. Routine is important. Set aside a regular time for homework. If there is
not any, have your child read or practice times table flash cards.
2. Help your child get organized. Discuss what needs to be done.
3. Divide big projects into smaller segments.
4. Keep extra school supplies at home.
5. Take short 5 minute breaks between tasks.
6. Have students read the directions aloud and tell you what they should
do. This is more effective than you doing the explaining and will let you
know if your child understands the directions.
7. Please do not do the work for your child! Help your child understand
how he/she can do it. Help your child if needed. Doing the problem for
them teaches the child nothing and reinforces that they can not do it.
8. Show appreciation of even small signs of progress.