Directions: Over the next few months you will be presented with a myriad of topics that were selected by your classmates as issues that have significant importance. Each assignment you will be presented with a topic and an essential question. Your task will be to listen as you are presented a pro and a con viewpoint. You will also be asked to read articles that are both pro and con the essential question. After listening and reading to the material presented you will be asked to:
· Develop your knowledge on the topic by completing additional research.
· Separate fact from opinion.
· Take notes
· Develop a thesis statement.
· Support your evidence and draw conclusion.
· Apply your knowledge by writing a mini-essay
Pro/Con Issues and Essential Questions
Should the United States open federally protected lands and waters to oil well drilling?
We need to uncover domestic resources to reduce our dependency on foreign oil.
Oil well drilling in these areas will harm the environment and will not reduce dependency on foreign oil.
· Cut the Red Tape, Already: Open Up Drilling in Alaska
· Obama Orders Expansion of Oil Drilling
· This Is No Time to Discourage U.S. Oil and Gas Production
· Ban Fracking Now
· Offshore Drilling Policy Reversed
· Halt Offshore Exploration