In order to become a pilgrim, you must go through several steps first.
1. First, you'll need to understand what certain words mean. These are
words new people to America had to learn too. You'll go to
Teacher Vision to find the meanings. After you read those
definitions, you need to read more definitions to help with more words.
2. Second, you'll read Molly's Pilgrim by Barbara Cohen. It's a
short book and shouldn't take too long to finish. You will do this at your
desk so others can have access to the computer.
3. Next, you'll go to Think Quest to read about what new immigrants or pilgrims
had to do once they got to America. At the end, you can take a tour of Ellis
Island. Words that are in blue and underlined are good words on which to
click. It will help you understand the tour better.
4. After your guided tour, you will get to read some reflections or
thoughts from some recent pilgrims or immigrants. It will give you some idea
of what a pilgrim or immigrant might feel or think in a new land. You will
New Americans to read personal thoughts of new immigrants.
5. After all your research, you will be required to make five journal
entries for a personal pilgrim's journal created by you. Basic writing
skills using rules of grammar and punctuation are required. You will be
assessed (graded) based on how well your entries follow the rubric.