STEP 1-CHOOSE A STAGE IN THE BUTTERFLY LIFE CYCLE
1. You will be assigned to a group of 4.
2. Each of you will research a different stage. To help, look at
the stages below.
*egg *caterpillar(larva) *chrysalis(pupa) *butterfly(adult)
3. Which one do you want to become? Work as a group to decide your
4. You will research ONLY this stage.
STEP 2-RESEARCH YOUR STAGE
1. You will find the answers to some of the following questions on
your individual role pages:
* Its definition
* Its size
* Its shape
* Its color
* What happens during this stage
2. You will also need to do "BOOK FUN" which is on your chosen stage
* Read a classroom book and find new details of a monarch
3. Write your answers to your research in your journal. Be sure to
write in complete sentences with correct capitalization and
STEP 3-HAVE A GROUP DISCUSSION
1. Answer these questions and complete the statements. Be sure to
explain in detail.
* Did you enjoy researching your stages.
* Describe the characteristics of your stages.
* Break down each stage and compare the
similarities and differences.
* How does each stage relate to the other.
* Discuss your new details that you found in "BOOK
STEP 4-DESIGN A GROUP POSTER
1. Draw and label your researched stage of the life cycle with your
group on posterboard.
2. Be sure to include proper color in the stages.
3. When you have finished, you should have a complete poster which shows
the life cycle of the butterfly.
STEP 5-ROLE PLAY THE LIFE CYCLE OF A BUTTERFLY AS A GROUP
1. With your group, demonstrate your stage of the life cycle for the
class by role-playing.
2. Be sure to describe your color, shape, size, and what happens during
3. You will have time to practice acting out the lifecycle before
4. Your group will become a butterfly right before our
1. Good luck on your research. Let's get started.
2. Click on your chosen stage at the top of this page.