Participation Eligibility Requirements
There are three requirements for a student to be eligible to audition for the KMEA All-State Band and Orchestra/Winds Percussion membership:
- The student must first be a performing member of their District's 2013-14 KMEA Band, Jazz Ensemble, or Orchestra.
- The student's director must submit an online audition form and a printed form with payment to the KMEA Festival Manager for each student auditioning. This form must be submitted by the AUDITION FORM DEADLINE established by KMEA.
- The student must be deemed an eligible sophomore, junior, or senior in good standing in their high school.
Music Requirements for the Live Audition:
- A full range chromatic scale slurred up and tongued down. Quarter Note MM= 120. Memorization is not required.
- One major scale with up to 4 sharps or 4 flats. Quarter Note MM= 120. Memorization is not required. All scales will start on the lowest possible starting note in the practical range. Each scale is non-transposed (i.e., if a trumpet player is asked to perform a C scale, they will be expected to perform a C scale on their instrument, not a C concert scale.) The major scale for each instrument will be posted by the band chairpersons on the morning of live auditions.
- Sections of the required etudes/solos listed below.
- Sight reading
PiccoloSelected Studies for Flute
, H. Voxman, Rubank/Hal Leonard. Play page 38, Ab Major etude, first six lines plus two measures to the quarter rest, students should play measures 11 and 12 up an octave to avoid the range problem with the low Db and C; page 40, Gigue, the first five lines (no repeat).
FluteSuite in A-Minor
, Telemann, published by International Music Co. (2260). Play No. 3"Air a I'Italien"
movement, but no da Capo. Measure 16 should use the same rhythm on count one and two as the rhythm in measure 15. The flute rhythm in the piano part is correct for measure 16.
OboeConcerto in C for Oboe and Orchestra
, attributed to Haydn, edited by Rothwell, published by Oxford University Press (3642131). First movement: page 1, begin at letter D (2nd line) and end on quarter note C (end of line 6). Page 5, play all of the Cadenza. Second movement: page 6, play from the beginning to the end of the 4th line.
BassoonConcertpiece, Op. 35
, Gabriel Pierné, edited by Schubert-Garfield, published by International Music Co. (1617) Play from the beginning to letter C; letter F to letter H; and letter O to the end.
B-Flat Soprano ClarinetConcerto No. 2 in E-Flat Major, Op. 74
, Carl Maria von Weber, published by Carl Fischer (CU-752). Romance movement: begin after C at Recit. with note E on fermata (Lento) prior to Maestoso and play to the end of movement. Polacca movement: play beginning to ten measures rest, and page 10 (in newer editions page 11), begin playing six measures before M and play to the end of the piece.
B-flat Bass ClarinetAdagio and Allegro
E-flat and B-flat Contra Bass Clarinet
, Johann Ernest Galliard, arr. by Lyle Merriman, published by Southern Music Co. (SS-686). (Hal Leonard 3774337). I:Adagio from Sonata No. 3
, begin at A and play to the end of the movement. II:Allegro from Sonata No. V
, play from the beginning to D.
Saxophones (Alto, Tenor, Baritone)27 Virtuoso Studies
by Bassi, transcribed for Oboe and Sax by Gerardo Iasilli, published by Carl Fischer (O-61). #1, page 4: play 3rd line from the top to the end. #14: play first three lines.
B-flat Cornet and TrumpetPrelude Et Ballade
, by Balay, published by Belwin Mills (BWI-69). Play from line 5, last measure (Expressi) to the end of the first page. Skip toAllegro Moderato
section: play all of page 2 and end after the first measure on page 3 (11 measures of rest).
French HornMorceau De Concert
, Saint-Saëns, published by Warner Bros. (TS-0002). Play #1 to #2; play #3 to #4; (CHANGE) play from fifth measure after #11 to end (no trill on the D).
Trombone and EuphoniumMorceau Symphonique
, Alexander Guilmant, ed. Falaguerra, published by Warner Bros. (TS-0046) Play beginning to 4th measure of 3rd line. Play last three lines of page 1. (CHANGE) Play from the beginning ofAllegro Moderato
to the end, the last 40 measures of the composition.
TubaAir and Bourée
, by Bach, arr. by William Bell, published by Carl Fischer. (W-1647) Play all of the Air. Bourée: Play from the beginning through the half note 1 measure before #4.Percussionists may audition in one or more areas, buta separate form and payment must be submitted for each audition area.
MalletsMasterpieces for Marimba
, arr. by Thomas McMillan, Pro Art Publications (1202). Play page 6: Sonatina by Telemann.
, Vic Firth, published by Carl Fischer, play page 4-5, Etude #1, Entire etude. Quarter note = 116-120.
Snare DrumPortraits in Rhythm
, Anthony J. Cirone, 50 Studies for Snare Drum, Belwin Mills, (HAB-00101): Play all of #3 (rolls are closed).
All-State Jazz Band
2013-14 Audition Excerpts
A New Approach to Jazz Improvisation, Volume 43, "Groovin' High" and Jazz Rhythm Section Workout, Volume 30B by Jamey Aebersold, 1211 Aebersold Drive, New Albany, IN 47150. All auditions will be performed with accompaniment play along recordings.
- Chromatic scale - Play quarter notes (mm=120). Students are to slur up and tongue down the full range of the instrument.
- "Groovin' High" - Play written melody from the beginning to the double bar after the second ending (32 bars).For optional improvisation audition: Let the recording continue and improvise for one full chorus (32 bars).
- "A Night in Tunisia" - Start playing written melody after the 8 bar introduction beginning at the second line playing through the Swing section and Interlude ending at the 4 bar solo break prior to the solos.
Optional Lead Trumpet Audition(in addition to above material)
- Play a one-octave F major scale ascending in quarter notes at quarter note equals MM 80, starting on the top line of the staff.
- Play provided lead trumpet part (contact the All-State Jazz Band Chairperson to receive this music).
Optional Bass Trombone Audition(in addition to above material)
- Play a one-octave B-flat major scale, descending in quarter notes at quarter note equals MM 80, starting on second-line B-flat.
- Play provided bass trombone part (contact the All-State Jazz Band Chairperson to receive this music).
Rhythm Section Auditions
- "Groovin' High" - Using the left channel only (bass & drums), play written melody and provide a chordal accompaniment for one full chorus; then play one full chorus (32 measures) of an improvised solo.
- "A Night in Tunisia" - Using the left channel only (bass & drums), play the written melody with the right hand while providing an appropriate chordal accompaniment with the left hand. Begin on the second line and end after the interlude (fourth line of the second page).
- Sight reading
- "Groovin' High" - Using the left channel only (bass & drums), play written melody for one full chorus (32 measures); then provide a chordal accompaniment for one full chorus; and finally, play one full chorus (32 measures) of an improvised solo.
- "A Night in Tunisia" - Using the left channel only (bass & drums), play the written melody. Begin on the second line and end after the interlude (fourth line of the second page).
- Sight reading
- "Groovin' High" Using the right channel only (piano & drums), play written melody only for one full chorus (32 measures); then provide a walking bass line for one full chorus; and finally, play one full chorus of an improvised solo.
- "A Night in Tunisia" Using the right channel only (piano & drums), play a bass line appropriate to accompany the melody. Play from the beginning to the end of the interlude (fourth line of the second page).
- Sight reading
Using the right channel only of Jamie Aebersold Volume 30B, play the following excerpts:
- #3 "Bye, Bye Boston" (31 measures) one time through
- #6 "Lady's Bounce" (40 measures) one time through
- #7 "Scott's Waltz" (32 measures) one time through
- Without recording or metronome, demonstrate 16 measures of a funk pattern
- Sight reading
2013 All State Members:
Ronja Eilhardt-flute, band
Deborah Hass-flute, band
Lucas Elliott-clarinet, band
Elizabeth Trites-alto sax, alt.
Sam Tankel-bari sax, alt. jazz
Kenny Orr-trumpet, band
Nicole Kakareka-horn, band
Tim Aspleaf-trombone, band
Raj Selvaraj-trombone, band
Erin Bonifield-euphonium, band
Sean Logan-percussion, band
Conner Viets-mallets, band
2012 District Band Members:
Flutes: Elizabeth Weezner-R2, Ronja Eilhardt-R5, Molly Warshaw-B7, Deborah Hass-B9
PIccolo: Ginny Friedrich-alt
Clarinet: Lucas Elliott-B3, Eric Karanevich-alt
Bassoon: Andy Herrmann-R4
Alto Sax:-Elizabeth Trites-B1, Sam Tankel-B4
Trumpet: Megan Stollsteimer-R2, Kenny Orr-R6
Horn: Nicole Kakareka-B6
Trombone: Tim Aspleaf-R4, Raj Selvaraj-B4
Euphonium: Erin Bonifield R1, Elizabeth Wheeler-R2
Percussion: Conner Viets-TympB, Mason Love-mallets 1R, Hannah Cantrell-mallets 2R, Sean Logan-perc2R
Jazz Band: Sam Tankel-bari sax, Kenny Orr-trp4, Tim Aspleaf-tbn4, Sean Logan-drum set
2012 All State Members
Flute-Kristen Jenson (band)
Clarinet-Lucas Elliott (band)
Alto Sax-Sam Tankel (band)
Trumpet-Kenny Orr (orch)
Horns-Blaire Collins (1st band), Peter Litzler (2nd band)
Percussion-Sean Logan (orch), Daniel Huhn (orch), Hannah Cantrell (band)
2011 District Band members:
Flutes-Kristen Jenson (blue 1), Molly Warshaw (blue 9)
Oboe-Jillian Kincaid (red 4)
Clarinets-Sarah Mullinax (blue 5), Lauren Johannes (blue 9), Lucas Elliott (blue 10)
Saxophones-Sam Tankel (red 3), Todd Nobles (alt)
Trumpet-Kenny Orr (red 6)
Horns-Blaire Collins (red 4), Peter Litzler (red 5)
Trombone-Raj Selveraj (blue 3)
Euphonium-Erin Bonified (red 2), Elizabeth Wheeler (red 3)
Tuba-Ashley Hung (red 6)
Percussion-Hannah Cantrell (Blue 3), Daniel Huhn (blue 5)
Sean Logan-Jazz Band drum set
2011 All-State results:
Austin Belk and Lucas Elliott-clarinets
Jillian Kincaid-oboe (alt)
Haley Crouch-alto saxophone (alt)
Victor Boyda and Jon Tobaben-trumpets
Blaire Collins and Amanda Foster (orchestra)-french horn
Erin Bonifield-euphonium (alt)
Here are the 2010 District Band members:
Flutes-Kristen Jensen (B3), Molly Warshaw (R8), Julia Nelson (R7), Elise Fairfax (alt.)
Clarinets-Sarah Mullinax (R6), Lucas Elliot (R11), Austin Belk (R13), Lauren Johannes (R18), Kailey Zvosec (alt.)
Bass Clarinets-Michael Camburako (R2), Josh Reinsch (R4)
Oboe-Jillian Kincaid (B3)
Bassoon-Kailey Peterson (B3)
Alto Sax-Haley Crouch (R2)
Tenor Sax-Jacob Stophel (R2)
Trumpets-Victor Boyda (R1), Jon Tobaben (B8), Wes Creaden (B9)
Jazz Trumpets-Victor and Jon
Horns-Amanda Foster (R7), Blaire Collins (R8), Peter Litzler (alt.)
Trombone-Raj Selvaraj (B6)
Baritone-Erin Bonifield (B3)
Tuba-Ashley Hung (B4)
Percussion-Blaine Anspaugh (R2), Daniel Huhn (B5)
Shara Abvabi-3rd flute, band
Erin Rand-9th flute, band
Sarah Mullinax-8th clarinet, band
Austin Belk-21st clarinet, band
Benjamin Taylor-2nd bassoon, orchestra
Haley Crouch-4th alto sax, band
Marina Hague-lead trumpet, jazz
Victor Boyda-4th trumpet, band
Jon Tobaben-5th trumpet, band
Justin Smith-2nd horn, orchestra
Muriel Hague-6th horn, orchestra
Amanda Foster-8th horn, band
Taylor Huhn-8th trombone, band
Blaine Anspaugh-4th percussion, band
2009 District Band
Those earning positions are:
Flutes-Erin Rand (R3), Jenny Gregory (6B), Shara Abvabi (7R), Kristen Jenson (9B), Julia Nelson (alt)
Clarinets-Sarah Mullinax (5B), Austin Belk (17R), Ricky Jennings (alt), Lauren Johannes (alt)
Bass Clarinets-Michael Camburako (3R), Joshua Reinsch (alt)
Bassoons-Benjamin Taylor (1B), Kailey Peterson (3R)
Saxophone-Haley Fetters-Crouch (4B)
Trumpets-Marina Hague (1B), Victor Boyda (1R), Jon Tobaben (3R), Jon Monsees (alt)
Horns-Justin Smith (1R), Muriel Hague (3B), Amanda Foster (8B)
Trombone-Stephen Hass (2R), Taylor Huhn (4B)
Tuba-Ashley Hung (6R)
Snare Drum-Blaine Anspaugh (1R)
Jazz Band-Marina Hague (trpt 1), Stephen Hass (tbn 3), Jon Tobaben (trpt alt)
Bart Johnson-tenor sax
Bart Johnson-tenor sax
Ryan Wiksell-alto sax
Brian Crawley-bass clarinet
Brian Crawley-bass clarinet
Hayden Fallek-tenor sax
Andy Mullin-alto sax
Jared Klein-alto saxophone
Bill Gessley-alto sax