SCIENCE SAFETY CONTRACT
Science activities may have potential hazards. We will use some equipment that may be dangerous if not handled properly. Safety in the science classroom is an important part of the scientific process. To ensure a safe classroom, a list of rules has been developed and is called the Science Safety Contract. These rules must be followed at all times. Additional safety instructions will be given for each activity.
No science student will be allowed to participate in science activities until this contract has been signed by both the student and a parent or guardian.
1. Conduct yourself in a responsible manner at all times in the science room.
Horseplay, practical jokes, and pranks will not be tolerated.
2. Follow all written and verbal instructions carefully. Ask your teacher questions
if you do not understand the instructions.
3. Do not touch any equipment, supplies, animals, or other materials in the
science room without permission from the teacher.
4. Perform only authorized and approved experiments. Do not conduct any
experiments when the teacher is out of the room.
5. Never eat, drink, chew gum, or taste anything in the science room without
6. Keep hands away from face, eyes, and mouth while using science materials
or when working with either chemicals or animals.
7. Wear safety goggles when instructed. Never remove safety goggles during an
experiment. There will be no exceptions to this rule!
8. Keep your work area and the science room neat and clean. Have only your
laboratory instructions, worksheets, and writing instruments on the work
area. Store other materials under the chairs.
9. Clean all work areas and equipment at the end of the experiment. Return
all equipment clean and in working order to the proper storage area.
10. Follow your teacher's instructions to dispose of any waste materials
generated in an experiment.
11. Report any accident (fire, spill, breakage, etc.), injury (cut, burn,
etc.), or hazardous condition (broken equipment, etc.) to the teacher
12. Consider all chemicals used in the science room to be dangerous. Do not
touch or smell any chemicals unless specifically instructed to do so.
13. Always carry a microscope with both hands. Hold the arm with one hand;
place the other hand under the base.
14. Treat all preserved specimens and dissecting supplies with care and
a. Do not remove preserved specimens from the science room.
b. Use scalpels, scissors, and other sharp instruments only as
c. Never cut any material toward you - always cut away from your body.
d. Report any cut or scratch from sharp instruments to the teacher
15. Never open storage cabinets or enter the prep/storage room without
permission from the teacher.
16. Do not remove chemicals, equipment, supplies, or animals from the
science room without permission from the teacher.
17. Handle all glassware with care. Never pick up hot or broken glassware
with your bare hands. Use a brush and dustpan to clean up broken glass.
Place broken and waste glassware in the designated glass container. Do
not immerse hot glassware in cold water; it may shatter.
18. Use extreme caution when using matches, a burner, or hot plate. Only
light burners when instructed and do not put anything into a flame
unless specifically instructed to do so. Do not leave a lit burner unattended.
19. Dress properly - long hair must be tied back, no dangling jewelry, and
no loose or baggy clothing. No open-toed shoes.
20. Learn where the safety equipment is located and how to use it. Know
where the exits are located and what to do in case of an emergency or
21. Experiments must be personally monitored at all times. Do not wander
around the room, distract other students, or interfere with the
experiments of others.
22. When removing an electrical plug from its socket, grasp the plug, not
the electrical cord. Hands must be completely dry before touching an
electrical switch, plug, or outlet.
I, ___________________________, have read and understand each of the above safety rules set forth in this contract. I agree to follow them to ensure not
only my own safety but also the safety of others in the science classroom or
laboratory. I also agree to follow the general rules of appropriate
behavior for a classroom at all times to avoid accidents and to provide a
safe learning environment for everyone. I understand that if I do not follow
all the rules and safety precautions, I will not be allowed to participate
in science activities. I may also receive a detention and a failing grade.
Student signature Date
Dear Parent or Guardian:
We feel that you should be informed regarding the school's effort to create
and maintain a safe science classroom/laboratory environment. Please read
the list of safety rules. No student will be allowed to perform science
activities unless this contract is signed by both the student and a
parent/guardian and is on file with the teacher. Your signature on this
contract indicates that you have read this Science Safety Contract, reviewed
it with your child, and are aware of the measures taken to ensure the safety
of your son/daughter in the science classroom.
Parent/Guardian signature Date