Student Handbook 2008 - 2009 Continued
- What happens if a book is damaged or lost?
- What kinds of books will I find in the library; when may I go there?
- What kinds of activities are allowed at recess time?
- Are there any after school activities?
- Will my class go on field trips?
- How should I behave during a field trip?
- What is the Faqra Program?
- How should I address my teachers?
- How should I behave during snack time?
- What are the bathroom rules?
- How should I behave during an assembly or a play?
- Are there any playground rules?
- How do I behave in the hallways and on the stairs?
- What do I do before school starts?
- What are the dismissal rules?
- Can I bring listening devices like iPods?
- What are the major events of the school year?
- When will my parents be invited to school?
What happens if a book is damaged or lost?
You need to buy a new book or pay the price of one. If the lost book is
found, the money will be refunded.
What kinds of books will I find in the library; when may I go there?
In the library you will find a large collection of interesting novels and
information books in English, Arabic and French. Students are welcome to
visit the library with a pass during recess. The librarians are there to
guide you. The library has a special room for students who work on projects.
There are a number of computers in the library that may be used for research
and locating books.
You are not charged for overdue books but you may not borrow a new book
until the overdue book is returned. The library has treats for whole
classes that return their books on time.
What kinds of activities are allowed at recess time?
Recess addresses the student's physical needs. Physical activity is
essential for the healthy growth and development of children. Tether ball,
basketball and football...are part of the recess games. However there are
certain rules to follow at recess time. (see expected behavior at school)
Are there any after school activities?
There is a variety of after school activities in the elementary school.
They are not the same every year, but there is usually a soccer club, a
basketball club, a cooking club, a journalism club, and a variety of
Will my class go on field trips?
Yes, every year the teachers arrange field trips as part of the curriculum.
You may visit an archeological site, a museum, a farm, a factory or any
other place of interest.
How should I behave during a field trip?
You should be on your very best behavior, of course. That means that you
follow your teacher's directions. You should never wander off, but stay
close to your buddy and both of you should stay close to the group. On the
bus, you MUST wear your seatbelt and stay seated at all times.
What is the Faqra Program?
Faqra is a wonderful ski resort in the Lebanese Mountains. ACS has a lodge
there. All students in grades 3, 4 and 5 participate in the program. At
Faqra ski monitors will help you become a good skier. In the afternoon,
there are outdoor and indoor fun activities. Students in grades one and two
may take day trips to Faqra during the winter season.
How should I address my teachers?
You should always address your teachers by saying Miss, Mrs. or Mr. before
their family names. For example, if you have a teacher who is called Mary
Hakim and she is married, you should call her Mrs. Hakim.
How should I behave during snack time?
You are expected to:
- wash your hands before eating
- stay seated while eating
- talk in a low voice and not at all if your mouth is full
- make sure that your area is clean and tidy after snack
What are the bathroom rules?
There are several important rules for the bathroom. You should:
- flush after you are through
- use toilet paper appropriately (toilet paper rolls should not be taken off
- wash your hand before returning to the classroom
- throw the used paper towel in the wastebasket
- leave the bathroom clean and return quickly to class.
How should I behave during an assembly or a play?
You should behave in a respectful manner by:
- entering without talking: Once you are seated you may talk quietly to your
- giving attention at the signal � stop talking and eyes on the speaker
- remaining seated until the end of the program
- applauding when appropriate
- leaving quietly
- following your teacher�s directions
Are there any playground rules?
Indeed there are. It is very important that all students respect the
playground rules so that everybody has a good time during recess.
- respect and obey the directions of the teachers on recess duty
- play gently and fairly with your friends (rough play is dangerous and not
- report missing balls and/or damaged equipment to the teacher on duty
- stay under the awning when it rains (grades 4 and 5)
- line up quickly and quietly without pushing
- take good care of the playground garden (grade 3)
- use all equipment according to the rules of safety (ask you teacher for
How do I behave in the hallways and on the stairs?
- be safe at all times and respectful of others learning in their classroom
- walk quietly
- go directly to your destination
- use of designated stairs for your level
- walk on the right said of the stairs
What do I do before school starts?
Arrival time is 7:30 AM. If you must come earlier
- go directly to the bus gate and join other waiting students
At 7:30 AM
- If you are in grades 1 and 2 you will be taken to the playground for early
play. Book bags are placed on the benches.
- If you are in grades 3 and 4 you will be taken to your classroom level to
drop off book bags and then to the roof for early play.
- If you are in grade 5 you will go to your classroom.
What are the dismissal rules?
- Pack up quickly and leave with your designated group
- Walk to your gate
- Family Gate #2 (A � J)
- Family Gate #1 (K � Z)
- Go to the letter at the family gates that is the first letter of your last
- Leave only when your name is called or the person who arrives to get you.
- Join the line designated for your bus.
- Wait until the bus monitor leads your line to the waiting bus.
Can I bring listening devices like iPods?
These are not accepted during school time. If your bus allows them, they
can be in your bag for use on the bus.
What are the major events of the school year?
The major events at ACS are the:
- Curriculum Night
- Lebanese Independence Day
- Poetry Week
- Poetry Caf�
- Multicultural Celebrations
- Arabic Celebrations
- Art Show
- Winter Concerts
- I Love to Read Week
- Field Day
- Celebration Assemblies
- Celebration Day
When will my parents be invited to school?
- Your parents will first be invited to come to school for Curriculum Night
at the beginning of school. This is the time when you teachers inform your
parents about what you will learn during the school year.
- Then your parents will be invited to a conference with your teachers,
after you have received your first report card.
- You will invite your parents to attend a winter music program performed by
all the elementary students.
- Parents come for a second conference with the teacher.
- Field Day is an event for the whole family in April or May.
- In addition to the above times, your parents may be invited to some of the
other major events mentioned above.