Chocksett Middle School
Welcome/ Bienvenidos to 8th Grade Foreign Language!
Course Objective: The goal of 8th grade Spanish is to continue to develop
language skills acquired in 7th grade. My course focuses on the development
of five languages skills: reading, writing, listening, speaking and cultural
awareness. Through a variety of activities, including class projects, oral
and written exercise, songs, and games, students will become proficient in
the Spanish language. Students in the 8th grade take the Foreign Language
Placement Test-Grade, which determines their high school placement at
Wachusett Regional high School. My hope is that every student will be place
in an honors level class or level II in 9th grade. To this end, I hope that
students put forth their best effort.
Spanish class ¿Cómo te va? B
Class handouts, CD, songs.
1) Students are expected to arrive to class on time, prepared, and with
a positive attitude.
2) Students must obey all classroom rules.
3) Disruptive and inappropriate behavior will be not tolerated.
4) Candy and gum are not permitted in class. Students are allowed to
have a healthy snack and water in a clear bottle during the designated snack
5) Each day, students must bring their Spanish notebook, folder, pen and
6) Students must include their name, period, and the date in the upper
right corner of all written assignments. Anything that is turned in without a
name will not be given credit. All work must be written in legible blue or
black ink or pencil.
7) Students are responsible for making up missed work due to an absence
within one week of their return to school, unless other arrangements with the
teacher are made.
8) Most importantly, students are expected to be active learners in
class, and they need to give their best effort and take pride in their work.
Grades: My grading works as follows: I do not give your grades; you earn
• Test / Test will be given at the end of each chapter unit.
All quizzes and test below a 70 must be signed by a parent/guardian and
returned the following day.
• Quizzes / Quizzes will be given every other week.
• Homework / - Students are responsible for turning homework
complete. Homework is explained verbally and written on the side of the
board. Please note that through the year, I will do my best to keep the
Homework will be graded as follows:
Homework is usually a review of what we did in class or in preparation for
what we will be doing in class. For this reason, it is important that it is
done completely, ON TIME, and with an honest effort. Homework is graded for
completion. Daily, students will either receive a 100 for a complete
assignment or a zero for an incomplete or missing assignment. At midterm and
at the end of a term, the homework grades will averaged together and count as
quiz grade also, respectively.
• Projects /Projects are assigned two to three weeks in advance and
are expected to turn in one time. Late projects will not be acceptable for
credit, unless prior arrangements are made.
• Use of language translators is prohibited and will result in no
credit for the assignment.
I want you to have a wonderful experience and have fun in the Spanish class.
Please do not hesitate to ask any questions.
Please review the information above with a parent or guardian and sign below.
Student signature Parent/guardian
What your child can do in order to do well in Spanish/French?
• Learn the vocabulary for each chapter right form the day that it is
presented in class.
• Do all homework and get it in on time. Get help with the assignment,
• Study and review material for quizzes and test.
• Pay good attention in class, take notes, and ask questions when
What you can do to help your child to do well in Spanish/French?
• Quiz your child over vocabulary. You can ask the English and your
child can give the Spanish/French.
• Ask whether your child has homework, a quiz, or a test coming up in
• Express an interest in what your child is doing, not only in
Spanish/French class, but also in other classes.
• Encourage your child to be self-advocates. If they are having a
problem, encourage them to come and talk to me. Open communication is a must.
What I will do to help your child do well in Spanish/French?
• I will teach your child to the very best of my ability.
• I will try to be aware of any difficulties that your child is having.
• I will be here to help your child with assignments, quizzes, tests,
• I will communicate with you, should major problems or difficulties