Newbery Book Report – Rubric
Due – October 11, 2014
1. Introduction- (10 points) ______
• Title, author, and any relevant information about the author
• Why you chose the book
• What kind of story/genre is it?
2. Body – theme, plot, setting, and characters – (40 points)_____
a. The theme is the main idea of the story (friendship, broken families,
Native Americans, overcoming challenges, disabilities, death, etc.)
b. The setting is the time and place of the story. Is it set a long time
ago or now? How much time passes in the story – a day? A year? A lifetime?
c. The plot is what happens. You want to tell what the story is mostly
about. What is the main event or conflict? What things lead up to it? What
happens as a result? How does the story end? Be careful not to re-tell the
whole story in detail- you want room in your report to write about other
things; instead, just say enough about it so the rest of your report will
d. The characters are who the story is about. The main character is
called the protagonist. Who are the other important characters? Do they
help or hinder the protagonist?
3. Conclusion - (20 points) ______
Here is where you give your overall opinion of the book and the most
important thing you want other people to know about it. Here you can tell
what you think about the book. You can write whatever opinions you have.
Some questions you might want to answer are:
• Did you like the story? Why or why not?
• What was the best part of the book? Why?
• Would you recommend it to your friends?
• Would you read other books by this author?
• What new things did you learn from this book?
• How did this story make you feel?
• What do you think the author’s purpose was in writing this book?
4. Presentation and Mechanics – (30 points) - ______
Your book report should be typed and very carefully proofread for grammar,
spelling, and punctuation. Your report should also have a title page or
cover identifying yourself, the book, and the author. The cover should be
artistically and thoughtfully illustrated.
Final Score (100 points) - ________