This strategy is used to help students dissect a reading passage and determine the correct answer.
U - Underline the Title
· Read the title as you underline it.
· It will help you know what the selection is about.
N - Now Predict the Passage
· Use prior knowledge from similar passages.
· Use the pictures, graphs, etc.
R - Run Through and Number the Lines and Letter the Paragraphs
· This will help you locate the answers later.
· It makes it easier to organize your thoughts.
A - Are You Reading the Questions?
· So you know what to look for
· The question usually explains the whole passage.
· Do NOT answer anything yet.
A - Are the Important Words Circled?
· These are usually "answers".
· Write one or two words that tell what they mean.
V - Venture (Read) Through the Passage
· Read carefully through the passage.
· If you don't understand something, reread it.
E - Eliminate any Obviously Wrong Answers by Crossing Them Out.
· Cross out any silly answers.
· Do not try to find the exact answer yet.
L - Let the Questions Be Answered.
· Write the paragraph and line number where you found the answer (or inferred answer) next to the question.