REMINDER- ALL ASSIGNMENTS ARE TO BE TYPED USING MLA FORMAT
Turnitin id: 5479260
AP BIOLOGY SUMMER ASSIGNMENT 2013-14
The new AP Biology curriculum is centered around 4 "Big Ideas" to which all
biological processes and organisms are connected. Along with the changes in
the material which needs to be studied, the labs have also undergone
revision. Instead of the "Dirty dozen" (12)labs, there are now 13 all of
which are connected to one of the 4 big ideas. These labs focus on Scientific
inquiry. To engage in scientific inquiry, you should become familiar with the
process hence a summer assignment. Your summer assignment has been posted as
a PDF on the AP Biology documents page here on my website. This assignment
will be due Monday, August 21, the day we return to school. Good luck and have
5/10 MC answers 26-63
26-c, 27-b, 28-b, 29-c, 30-d, 31-b, 32-d, 33-c, 34-b, 35-a, 36-c, 37-b, 38-a,
39-d, 40-d, 41-c, 42-b, 43-d, 44-c, 45-b, 46-c, 47-c, 48-b, 49-a, 50-d, 51-c,
52-c, 53-a, 54-d, 55-c, 56-d, 57-d, 58-b, 59-d, 60-b, 61-c, 62-d, 63-c.
5/9 MC answers 1-25
1-c, 2-b, 3-c, 4-a, 5-d, 6-d, 7-a, 8-b, 9-c, 10-b, 11-b, 12-c, 13-b, 14-a,
15-d, 16-c, 17-c, 18-a, 19-c, 20-b, 21-d, 22-d, 23-c, 24-c, 25-a.
5/8 Completed labs and ecology study sheet due.
AP REVIEW - DO NOT be shy on the details!
Big idea 1
1. What role does evolution play in the organization of living things?
2. What evidence supports our current models of the origin of life?
3. How does the process of evolution drive diversity and the unity of
4. How does life evolve in changing environments?
Big Idea 2
1. How is the cell the basic unit of life?
2. How do materials enter and leave the cell?
3. What role does the cell membrane play in cellular homeostasis
4. What are the relationships between structure and function of cell
5. How are the characteristics of life manifested by the cell?
6. How is free energy used in biological systems to facilitate growth,
reproduction, and homeostasis sustainability?
7. How is energy stored in biological systems?
8. How are external signals converted into cellular responses?
Big Idea 3
1. How are traits passed from one generation to the next?
2. How do eukaryotic cells store, retrieve, and transmit genetic
3. How does genotype effect phenotype?
4. How are genotype and human disorder related?
5. How does gene expression control the cell and determine its
6. What are the current trends in genetic engineering techniques that
guide manipulation of genetic information?
7. What social and ethical issues are raised by advances in genetic
Big Idea 4
1. How do interactions between and within populations influence patterns
of species distribution and abundance?
2. How do living things use energy and matter to survive in an ecosystem?
3. How do humans impact the biodiversity of ecosystems?
4. What role does the environment play in sustaining homeostasis in
5/1 Compare and contrast the vascular structures of animals and plants.
Describe their structural similarities and differences and how do they
deliver nutrients to the tissues? Send to turnitin.com
Review the transformation virtual transfomation lab. Link is located on the
Ap Biology links page.
4/24 Doctor's office brochure
Explain how the nervous system transmits information and how the brain
integrates this information to produce a response. The brochure explains,
with justification, how the nervous system transmits information, how it
detects internal and external signals, and how the brain integrates
information to produce a response.
4/23 Be aware of online testing close dates: Bacteria quiz 1 closes 4/24
bacteria/virus test closes 4/26
4/23 The Habitable Planet - interactive labs - Disease lab
Complete the simulation and answer the questions for each step of the
Simulation. In addition answer the following:
A)What is the immune system? How does it respond to disease states?
B) A baby is born with it's Mothers immune system... Support or refute this
C) Research and provide examples of how plants and animals use chemical
defenses against infectious diseases.
4/22 Research Circadian rhythms. what are they, what organisms are affected
by these biorhythms and what can be the effects of disruption?. Answer the
following: A)With exams pending, how will your circadian rhythms be
disrupted? What homeostatic mechanisms will be affected? Justify your claim.
B)What are the effects of circadian rhythm disruption on plants?
4/18 Research and analyze articles that contain data on the effects of
hormone replacement. Complete an article analysis which focuses on the
evaluation of collected data that supports the claim that timing and
coordination of physiological events are regulated by multiple mechanisms.(
4/22 - zero period)4/16 Research how plants respond to both internal and
external stimuli? What are some typical responses to both negative and
positive feedback to maintain normal processes. How are these processes
similar to those found in animals?
4/15 Using your assigned body system, complete the following:
Write a short essay on your assigned body system explaining, with
justification, what role that system has in maintaining homeostasis in
the body. Include organs, glands and structures, and provide 3 examples of
how that system may be damaged. Bring your essay with you to class 4/16 for
Name system (E=Endocrine, N= nervous, I=immune)
4/9 Copy and paste the links below into your browser and complete the
Cracking the code of life
Assignment: Research and justify data supporting important milestones in the
identification of DNA as genetic material. Present questions that remain
unanswered regarding DNA.
"Science Odyssey" DNA Workshop
Assignment: Justify the role of DNA replication being the starting point
toward the goal of protein synthesis.Describe and justify how changes in a
DNA or RNA sequence can effect how the genes are expressed.
" Rediscovering Biology: Unit 7: Genetics of development; animations and
Assignment: What role does the hedgehog protein play in embryonic development?
Distuinguish between "determination" and "differentiation". How do different
cell types result from differential gene expression in cells with the same
Finally; answer the following question: How do eukaryotic cells store,
retrieve and transmit genetic information?
DUE Friday 4/12/2013 to turn it in.com
Online quizzes are now posted for chapters 12 and 13. 12 quiz 1 opens 3/12,
closes 3/14; quiz 2 opens 3/13, closes 3/15; ch 13 quiz 1 opens 3/14, closes
3/11 ch 15 q's - provide answers only. 15.1 q #1; 15.2 q's # 1 and 2; 15.3
q's 1-3 also describe a linkage map; 15.4 q # 1; 15.5 q's 1-3
ch 10 quizzes #1 opens 2/19, closes 2/20; quiz #2 opens 2/20 closes 2/22; quiz
#3 open 2/22 closes 2/24
ch 9 quiz 1 opens 1/31, closes 2/3
ch 9 quiz 2 opens 2/2; closes 2/5
2/1 Choose one of the following and research how fermentation occurs:
Yogurt, cheese, chocolate, vinegar, sour dough
And answer the following questions
1. What metabolic pathway is used in the fermentation process?
2. What substrate is involved in the process?
3. What are the products that result from the process?
4. How is fermentation accomplished?
5. How is the product prepared for consumption?
Submit this to turnitin.com
10/25 I believe I have a site for quizzes. Copy and paste this URL into your
browser, https://www.eztestonline.com/391069/index2.tpx, and follow the
registration steps for joining the AP Biology class. YOU WILL NEED TO CREATE
AN ID AND PASSWORD.