1. What awakened the soldiers
at dawn? (4) The shrill whistling fife.
2. What evidence is there that
the weather was cold? (7) The swift,
falling snow flake enveloped us all.
3. When did the men enter the
fort? (4) At morn’s early dawn.
4. On what date in 1862 did
this happen? (2) February 13th
5. What did the soldiers see
themselves as withstanding? (1) Oppression.
6. Through how much of the
first day did the battle continue? (4) From
morning ‘till night.
7. What kinds of weapons were
in use? (3) Musketry and cannons.
8. How long did the entire
battle take? (3) Three winter days
9. What signal did the
defenders of the fort use to indicate surrender? (5) The white flag is unfurled
10. In the poem, what phrase did
the author use to symbolize war and defeat? (3) The storm cloud.