MCES General PTA Meeting – April 16, 2013
Updated by Kerri DeLair
President called meeting to order: 7:06pm
President declared quorum present.
Meeting Minutes from March 2013 Approved – Motion Passed. (Meeting notes are
posted in hard copy on the PTA board in the front hallway of MCES and online
on the MCES PTA website.)
Attendees included: Diane Hayes, Beth Lewis, Kerri DeLair, Jennifer Capoccia,
Lisa Sgoupis, Ann Diecke, Melanie Parrish, Gaye Esser, Kelly Cancro, Karen
Lopez, Jill Schwadron, Leanne Hiel, Maureen Schmitz, Sharon Brown, Sarah Peak,
Dawn Matta, Lyn Lucovsky, Chris Fillio, Danae Hudson
Old Business – Beth Lewis
• Thank yous to Cultural Arts – Transit! (Laura Collins and Melissa Ernest),
Science Olympiad (Karen Robins, Neha Vashi, AnnMarie Marchese and Kim
Gervase), Merchandise (Leanne Hiel), Grounds Day (Mike Beahn), Acorn Award for
Membership (Karen Lopez)!!!
• Consumer Products (Sharon Brown) $1450 check pending from Box Tops –
expected soon. Recently ordered 9 new electric pencil sharpeners for
teacher’s classrooms from proceeds.
• Square 1 Art Fundraiser – (Mrs Bettini & Deanna Zolfo) – Fundraiser going
well due to extremely hard work by the students, Mrs Bettini and Deanna Zolfo!
Expect/hope to make ~3-4 K in profit.
New Business -
• Nominating Committee (Jill Schawadron & Karen Lopez) –
Advocated participation in the highly recommended NC PTA Leadership Conference
on May 31 & June 1st. Several BOD not able to attend – team suggested VOD as
a mechanism for more people to attend and gain content. Beth to relay this
recommendation to the NC PTA for consideration.
Nominating Committee indicated that several people may be interested in the
President’s role for next year & they are confident that all the VP slots will
If Pres slot is not filled, the VPs and/or Board will attempt to strategize
splitting the responsibility for the President‘s tasks. Nominating Committee
took suggestions for additional nominations. Will look into the bylaws to
understand rules about posting candidates if multiple candidates are
interested in the same position.
• Hospitality – (Kelly Race and Brenda Gerken) Planning special Teacher
Appreciation activities for the month of May. Many activities will be
communicated for the different track’s respective weeks in-cluding catered
lunches for teachers.
• Battle of the Books (Mrs. Walsh) 4/17 from 1:30 to 3 pm in the gym (Grades
4/5), 4/18 (Grade 3).
• Carnival! (Lyn Lucovsky) – Biggest current need is for volunteers to
volunteer for baked goods for Cake Walk (Kristin Anderson) Needs help in
morning or afternoon to take in baked goods and/or repackage the baked goods.
Sign Up Genius will be sent out for volunteers tomorrow, 4/17.
• Healthy Kids (Anne Robertson) Launching up Fuel Up to Play 60 at Carnival.
Mayor of Holly Spring will attend, Produce Box, and the YMCA. Dance Party
at Carnival from 6-8 – get moving!
• Received 2nd Home Depot Copy Card – stored in 402 with sign out sheet.
• Donation recieved from Middle Creek Community Center - HopSports game &
20-30 Swiss ball.
• Announcements – Membership asked to sign the thank-you card for the
HopSports donation from the Middle Creek Community Center.
• Report of the Treasurer (Jennifer Capoccia) Profit & Loss (current) and
budget submitted and reviewed by all
• Report of the Teacher Representative (Mrs. Diecke and Mrs. Cancro) No report
• Report of the Principal (Mrs. Parrish) No report
Special Guest Speaker – Dr. Jim Martin (Wake County School Board Member
District 5) –
Dr. Martin was asked to speak on positive things happening in WCPSS.
• Dealing with Student Assignment: This year; fewest student reassignment
than in any recorded year in WCPSS history.
• Advocating balance of STEM and Arts focus.
Meeting Adjourned at 8:12 pm
April 17 : Battle of the Books : Grades 4&5 : All Tracks : 1:30-3:00pm
April 18 : Battle of the Books : Grade 3 : All Tracks : 9:30am
April 18 : Square 1 Art Fundraiser order forms and payments due : Tracks 1&2
April 19 : Kid's Raffle donations due
April 22 : Square 1 Art Fundriaser order forms and payments due : Track 4
April 26 ; Cakewalk donations due
April 26 : School Supply Order forms due : All Tracks
April 27 : CARNIVAL!!! : 4:00-8:00pm
May 1 : PTA Nomination (2013-2014) forms due for Officers and other positions
May 3 : School Supply Online Orders due : All Tracks
May 3 : Field Day : Tracks 2&4 (Rain Date: Monday, May 6)
May 6-10 : Teacher Appreciation Week : Tracks 1&2
May 17 : Field Day : Tracks 1&3 (Rain Date: Monday, May 20)
May 20-24 : Teacher Appreciation Week : Tracks 3&4
May 21 : PTA Meeting : 7:00-8:00pm : ELECTION NIGHT!