Kindergarten News from Mrs. Yanoschak and Mrs.Harrell
Week of May 1, 2017 - May 5, 2017
We will continue to assess the children on the recognition of the
following skills for their Kindergarten report card: home address,
telephone number, age, birthday, numerals, coin/value, letters/letter
sounds, blending letter sounds, rhyming words, color words, sight words
and several other skills. Please review with your child their home
address and telephone number. Thank you so much for your constant support
May 1st through May 5th is Faculty/Staff Appreciation Week. The
Faculty/Staff Luncheon is scheduled for Wednesday, May 3rd.
Field Day is scheduled for Friday, May 5th and will begin around 11:30 am.
The May Crowning prayer service will be on Tuesday, May 9th at 2:00 pm.
You are welcome to attend.
Wednesday, May 10th is a dress down reward day. Your child can wear play
clothes to school.
The HASA General Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, May 11th in the Fallon
Center at 7:00 pm. We hope you will be able to attend this final meeting.
Friday, May 12th is an early dismissal day - 11:40 am.
Kindergarten will be hosting an ice cream social for our eighth grade
buddies on Monday, May 15th. Mrs. Jolly will be contacting you about
items needed for the social.
Kindergarten's last day of school is on Tuesday, May 23rd. Both
Kindergarten classes celebrate the last day of school with a picnic at the
Lourdes baseball athletic field. The children arrive at school at the
regular morning schedule. The picnic begins at 10:30 am with Mrs. Harrell
and I walking the children to the field. Please pack a lunch and a blanket
to sit on for you and your Kindergarten student. Younger siblings are
welcome to join us too! Report cards will be handed to each parent during
the picnic. The children will be dismissed from the baseball field to go
home with you around 11:30 am. If you have any questions or concerns
about the last day of school, please feel free to email me.
"Miss Bindergarten Celebrates the Last Day of Kindergarten," "Pet Show!"
and "Schools Then and Now"
- Review Letterland characters/letter sounds: Annie Apple, Bouncy Ben,
Clever Cat, Dippy Duck, Eddy Elephant, Firefighter Fred, Golden Girl,
Harry Hatman, Impy Ink, Jumping Jim, Kicking King, Lucy Lamplight,
Munching Mike, Noisy Nick, Oscar Orange, Peter Puppy, Quarrelsome Queen,
Red Robot, Sammy Snake,Talking Tess, Uppy Umbrella, Vicky Violet, Walter
Walrus, Fix-It-Max, Yellow Yo-Yo Man, and Zig Zag Zebra
- Review "S" blends, "L" blends, and "R" blends
- Identify beginning, middle and ending letter sounds in words
- Review short/long vowel sound: a, e, i, o, u
- Review word families: -ab, -ad, -am, -an, -ap, -at, -ed, -eg, -em, -en,
- ep,-et, -ell, -ib, -id, -ig, -im, -in, -ip, -it, -ill, -ob, -od, -og, -
om, -on,-op, -ot, -ox, -ub, -ud, -ug, -um, -un, -up, and -ut
- Blend letter sounds to read unfamiliar words
- Track syllables
- Review multiple meanings for words
- Review antonyms
- Review sight words: I, like, the, and, see, we, a, to, come, me, with,
my, you, what, are, now, is, how, find, this, will, be, for, make, play,
said, good, she, all, he, no, do, down, have, help, look, out, off, take
- Review sight words on word wall (first, second, third and fourth nine
- Review singular and plural nouns
- Review nouns as naming words
- Review verbs as action words
- Review verbs in past, present and future tense
- Review adjectives as descriptive words
- Review Venn Diagram as a way to compare and contrast characters in a
- Review cause and effect within a story
- Discuss conclusions for reading comprehension
- Discuss events in each story - sequence
- Discuss the main idea of each story
- Review the use of exclamation points
Teacher Table - read decodble and leveled reader (Unit 6, Lesson 30)
Work on Writing - write in journal on any topic
Word Work - color, cut and paste word family sentence
Read to a Partner - whisper read to a partner
The children will be introduced to measurement. They will compare items
by size, length and height. The math homework is listed below:
Monday, May 1st - complete page 120
Tuesday, May 2nd - complete page 121
Wednesday, May 3rd - complete page 122
Thursday, May 4th - complete page 123
Friday, May 5th - return homework in two pocket folder
The children will be able to recognize life as a gift from God and to
respect all people. We will also discuss that in heaven you will live
forever in happiness with God. This will be our final chapter in our
religion book. For the reminder of the year, we will read Bible stories
from a child's Bible.
We will continue to discuss seeds and plants. We will also begin to read
stories about Mother's Day!
Everyone has been a Star Student this year!
Kinder Book Club Reader:
Everyone has shared one of their favorite books!
- Please send a snack with your child every day including early dismissal
Mrs. Yanoschak and Mrs. Harrell