Kindergarten News from Mrs. Yanoschak and Mrs.Harrell
Week of February 21, 2017 - February 24, 2017
There will be NO SCHOOL on Monday, February 20th. Please enjoy the
extended weekend with your family.
Ash Wednesday is March 1st. We will be attending the 8:15 am Mass with
our kinderbuddies. All are welcome to attend.
Friday, March 3rd is an early dismissal day - 11:40 am.
The Happy Camper Book Fair Family Day begins Sunday, March 5th after the
morning Masses. Our class will be given an opportunity to browse on
Monday, March 6th from 8:30 am - 8:50 am and purchase on Tuesday, March
7th from 12:40 pm - 1:00 pm. The Book Fair closes on Thursday, March 9th.
Please read the Wednesday Mailer for more information about the Happy
Camper Book Fair!
Wednesday, March 8th is a dress down day. Your child can wear regular
play clothes to school.
On Monday, March 13th, our fourth quarter of school begins. The children
will need to begin learning the last quarter of sight words and review the
sight words from the previous quarters. Thank you so much for assisting
your child with learning the sight words. You are truly making a
difference in your child's reading confidence!
Monday, March 20th will be a full day of school.
Monday, March 27th and Tuesday, March 28th our school will be going
through an external review for accreditation.
Wednesday, April 5th will be a dress down reward day. The children can
wear regular play clothes to school.
Friday, April 7th is an early dismissal day - 11:40 am.
Wednesday, April 12th, the eighth graders will perform the Passion Play in
the Fallon Center.
Easter Break begins on Thursday, April 13th - Friday, April 21st. School
will resume on Monday, April 24th.
Kindergarten will receive their final report card in May.
“Leo the Late Bloomer,” "A Tiger Grows Up,” and “What Can a Baby Animal
- Review Letterland characters/letter sounds: Annie Apple, Bouncy Ben,
Clever Cat, Dippy Duck, Eddy Elephant, Firefighter Fred, Golden Girl,
Harry Hatman, Impy Ink, Jumping Jim, Kicking King, Lucy Lamplight,
Munching Mike, Noisy Nick, Oscar Orange, Peter Puppy, Quarrelsome Queen,
Red Robot, Sammy Snake,Talking Tess, Uppy Umbrella, Vicky Violet, Walter
Walrus, Fix-It-Max, Yellow Yo-Yo Man, and Zig Zag Zebra
- Identify beginning, middle and ending letter sounds in words
- Review short/long vowel sound: a, e, i, o
- Review word families: -ab, -ad, -am, -an, -ap, -at, -ed, -eg, -em, -en,
- ep,-et, -ell, -ib, -id, -ig, -im, -in, -ip, -it, -ill, -ob, -od, -og, -
om, -on,-op, -ot, and -ox
- Blend letter sounds to read unfamiliar words
- Review multiple meanings for words
- Review sight words: I, like, the, and, see, we, a, to, come, me, with,
my,you, what, are, now, is, how, find, this, will, be, make, play
- Review sight words on word wall (first, second and third nine weeks)
- Review sentence parts (subject and predicate)
- Review nouns as naming words
- Review verbs as action words
- Review verbs in past, present and future tense
- Review adjectives as descriptive words
- Review cause and effect within a story
- Discuss events in each story - sequence
- Discuss the main idea of each story
Teacher Table - read decodable and leveled readers (Unit 5, Lesson 22)
Work on Writing - write in a journal about something you have learned to
Word Work - identify and sort pictures with the short vowel /o/ from
pictures without the short vowel /o/ sound
Read to a Partner - read to a friend
The children will continue to learn simple subtraction. The Math homework
is listed below:
Tuesday, February 21st - complete page 96
Wednesday, February 22nd - complete page 97
Thursday, February 23rd- complete page 98
Friday, February 24th - return homework in two pocket folder
The children will listen to the Bible story of the multiplication of the
loaves and fishes. They will identify the importance of bread and wine at
Mass. Finally, the children will develop a simple understanding of the
Mass and its relationship to Jesus' Last Supper.
We will begin to learn more about President's Day and begin to discuss
Everyone has been a Star Student this year!
Kinder Book Club Reader:
Everyone has shared one of their favorite books!
- Cold weather is finally here! Please have your child wear a hat, coat,
and gloves to school. The children will need them during recess time.
- Please send a snack with your child every day including early dismissal
Mrs. Yanoschak and Mrs. Harrell