Kindergarten News from Mrs. Yanoschak and Mrs.Harrell
Week of March 27, 2017 - March 31, 2017
The children continue to show progress on their reading and writing
skills. We sincerely appreciate your hard work at home reinforcing the
skills being taught at school such as reading the sight words and reading
the leveled readers with your child each week. You are making a
We have Painted Lady caterpillars! The children are observing the
caterpillars each day waiting for them to spin a chrysalis and later
emerge into beautiful butterflies! The butterfly's life cycle relate to
Jesus' Resurrection. We are looking forward to their new life.
Monday, March 27th and Tuesday, March 28th, our school will be going
through an external review for accreditation.
Wednesday, April 5th will be a dress down reward day. The children can
wear play clothes to school.
Friday, April 7th is an early dismissal day - 11:40 am.
Wednesday, April 12th, the eighth graders will perform the Passion Play in
the Fallon Center. You are welcome to attend.
Easter Break begins on Thursday, April 13th - Friday, April 21st. School
will resume on Monday, April 24th.
We will going on our final kindergarten field trip on Wednesday, April
26th. The kindergarten classes will be visiting the Alice Aycock Poe
Center for Health Education. They will be attending two programs - Super
Smiles and Healthy Habits. The children will need to bring a bag lunch and
drink for this field trip. A permission form will be sent home soon.
The HASA Spring Auction is scheduled for Saturday, April 29th at the St.
Bernadette Center. We look forward to seeing you there!
May 1st through May 5th is Faculty/Staff Appreciation Week. The
Faculty/Staff Luncheon is scheduled for Wednesday, May 3rd.
Field Day is scheduled for Friday, May 5th and will begin around 11:30 am.
The May Crowning prayer service will be on Tuesday, May 9th at 2:00 pm.
You are welcome to attend.
Wednesday, May 10th is a dress down reward day. Your child can wear play
clothes to school.
The HASA General Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, May 11th in the Fallon
Center at 7:00 pm. We hope you will be able to attend this final meeting.
Friday, May 12th is an early dismissal day - 11:40 am.
Kindergarten will be hosting an ice cream social for our eighth grade
buddies on Monday, May 15th.
Kindergarten's last day of school is on Tuesday, May 23rd.
“One of Three,” "Cross Country Trip,” and “Someone Bigger"
- Review Letterland characters/letter sounds: Annie Apple, Bouncy Ben,
Clever Cat, Dippy Duck, Eddy Elephant, Firefighter Fred, Golden Girl,
Harry Hatman, Impy Ink, Jumping Jim, Kicking King, Lucy Lamplight,
Munching Mike, Noisy Nick, Oscar Orange, Peter Puppy, Quarrelsome Queen,
Red Robot, Sammy Snake,Talking Tess, Uppy Umbrella, Vicky Violet, Walter
Walrus, Fix-It-Max, Yellow Yo-Yo Man, and Zig Zag Zebra
- Review "S" blends, "L" blends, and "R" blends
- Identify beginning, middle and ending letter sounds in words
- Review short/long vowel sound: a, e, i, o, u
- Introduce word families: -ub, -ud, -ug, -um, -un, -up, -ut
- Review word families: -ab, -ad, -am, -an, -ap, -at, -ed, -eg, -em, -en,
- ep,-et, -ell, -ib, -id, -ig, -im, -in, -ip, -it, -ill, -ob, -od, -og, -
om, -on,-op, -ot, -ox, -ub, -ud, -ug, -um, -un, -up, and -ut
- Blend letter sounds to read unfamiliar words
- Review multiple meanings for words
- Review antonyms
- Review sight words: I, like, the, and, see, we, a, to, come, me, with,
my, you, what, are, now, is, how, find, this, will, be, for, make, play,
said, good, she, all, he, no, do, down, have, help
- Review sight words on word wall (first, second, third and fourth nine
- Review singular and plural nouns
- Review nouns as naming words
- Review verbs as action words
- Review verbs in past, present and future tense
- Review adjectives as descriptive words
- Introduce Venn Diagram to compare and contrast characters in a story
- Review cause and effect within a story
- Discuss conclusions for reading comprehension
- Discuss events in each story - sequence
- Discuss the main idea of each story
- Review the use of exclamation points
Teacher Table - read decodable and leveled readers (Unit 6, Lesson 27)
Work on Writing - write in your journal about something you do with your
Word Work - color, cut, and paste pictures with the /l/sound
Listening - listen to a story and complete the listening log
The children will continue to learn how to tell time to the hour. They
will also learn how to tell time to the half hour. The Math homework is
Monday, March 27th - complete first worksheet
Tuesday, March 28th - complete second worksheet
Wednesday, March 29th - complete third worksheet
Thursday, March 30th- complete fourth worksheet
Friday, March 31st - return homework in two pocket folder
The children will learn about the Holy Spirit, how the dove is a symbol of
the Holy Spirit and how Jesus gives to everyone the gift of the Holy
We will be begin learning about the concept of air. We will demonstrate
through simple experiments how air takes up space, can move things and is
Everyone has been a Star Student this year!
Kinder Book Club Reader:
Everyone has shared one of their favorite books!
- Please send a snack with your child every day including early dismissal
Mrs. Yanoschak and Mrs. Harrell