As an eighth grader I will comply with the following expectations for all
future writing assignments in English class. I understand that for each
expectation not met I will receive a 2 point deduction:
1. I will indent each new paragraph in a writing assignment.
2. I will use punctuation when needed, especially end marks.
3. I will capitalize proper nouns. (ie names!!!).
4. I will not capitalize random words in my essays or writing
5. I will write neatly if I hand write an assignment, and I realize if
my teacher cannot read a word that I have written I will receive a 2 point
deduction. (For example ifyouwritelikethisIcannotreadwhatyouhavewritten).
6. I will take advantage of peer editing, a dictionary and spell check
before I pass in an assignment, making every effort to spell correctly. I
understand if I am answering a question on a test and I spell a word wrong
that is found in the test I will receive a 2 point deduction.
7. I will NOT use the phrase “I think” in any of my writing assignments.
8. I will NOT use the words: stuff or things, I will actually use the
words I am describing.
9. I will NOT use the word “like” instead of “an example of.”
10. I will NOT use slang or text messages in my writing assignments
(lol, u, r, brb).
11. I will always try my best and will write as if the reader has no
prior knowledge of the subject that I am writing about.
WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO DURING 8TH GRADE ENGLISH CLASS????????
Course Content: during the course of the year, we will work on the following:
Daily Oral Language
“The Diary of Anne Frank”
“Twelve Angry Men”
In the Elements of Literature anthology
Fiction and Non-Fiction
I Know What You Did Last Summer
A Christmas Carol
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
No Promises in the Wind
The Clay Marble
And two books of your choice (in your Lexile Range)
What Supplies Do I Need For This Class???
You need the following supplies:
Jumbo black book cover
1 – 1/5 inch (black) binder for JUST ENGLISH CLASS
Dividers -4 (Grammar, DOL, Literature, Writing)
Loose Leaf Paper for your binder (notes will go in your binder)
Composition Notebook (to keep in the classroom)
Pencils and Pens (blue and black ink only)
Highly Recommended Items:
1. The heading on each paper (classwork/homework) should be placed at
the top in the following manner:
(Full Name) (Date)
(Assignment) (Class Period)
2. Use only 8 ½ x 11 inch loose-leaf paper, unless otherwise directed.
Paper ripped from a spiral notebook must have the edges trimmed before being
3. All test MUST be completed in either pencil or blue or black ink. NO
4. If you use more than one sheet of paper for an assignment, STAPLE all
pages together and put your name on all pages (I WANT TO GIVE YOU ALL OF THE CREDIT
5. Answer all questions in the form of a complete sentence unless
6. Indent the first word of all paragraphs.
7. Double space.
8. ALWAYS capitalize and punctuate where necessary!
9. ALWAYS check your understanding of an assignment. If you are not
sure what you are supposed to do….ask me!!!!!
YOUR ESSAY SHOULD:
Use MLA rules
12 font (blue or black ink only)
Double space or skip lines
Use a citation page an in-text citations – when using words that are not your
Include a topic (thesis) sentence in your introductory paragraph
Use transition between paragraphs
Include a concluding paragraph wrapping up the essay
Following the writing contract
Ultimately you need to ask yourself:
“Have I answered the question?”
Classwork = 15% (formative)
Homework = 15% (formative)
Quizzes = 30% (summative)
Test/Projects/Formal Essays = 40% (summative)