A R.U.B.S. Master is someone who
solves a word problem by deliberately and carefully following these steps to
get to the Land of Correct Answers:
1. Read the problem carefully.
Visualize what is happening.
2. Underline what you're being asked
to find out or what you're being asked to do.
3. Box the important information,
like key words and other information needed for solving the problem.
4. Choose an operation. Set up a
number sentence or choose an appropriate problem solving strategy needed to
solve the problem.
5. Solve. Using the strategy or
number sentence, find the answer.
6. Label. Reread the question to
figure out what the label should be.
7. Write a solution sentence. Use
the words from the question to write your solution sentence.
8. Check your work. Remember that
addition is the inverse operation of subtraction, so you can use addition to
check subtraction and use subtraction to check addition.