Students will take a pretest on Mondays. They will have spelling homework on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights. This work should be completed in their marble notebook (spelling journal). The journal is returned to school on Fridays. Students will be assessed every Friday. In addition to the list of words, spelling tests will also include one or two dictation sentences. In the dictation sentences, students will be graded for correct spelling of current and past spelling words as well as proper capitalization and punctuation.
The series recommends the following steps for spelling new words:
1. LOOK at the word. SAY it and listen to its sounds.
2. SPELL the word aloud.
3. THINK about its spelling. Is there anything special to remember?
4. PICTURE the word with your eyes shut.
5. LOOK at the word and WRITE it.
6. COVER the word and picture it. WRITE it again. CHECK its spelling