1) BINGO NIGHT- Cedar Ridge Bingo Night is usually held in January. Volunteers are
needed to assist with set-up and clean up, as well as work the various stations-
concessions, door prizes, daubers, bingo packets, etc.
2) BOOK FAIR- Book fairs are held the same week as parent/teacher conferences in
October and April. Volunteers are needed for morning, afternoon, and evening shifts.
They will work as cashiers, as well as help with straightening books, assisting
3) BOXTOPS FOR EDUCATION- Each month, students turn in Boxtops which are mailed in
as a fundraiser. Volunteers are needed to collect and count the Boxtops, and create fun
incentives and rewards for the winning classes.
4) CATCH THE DREAM- Throughout the year, students turn in Catch the Dreams Forms to
recognize a teacher or staff member that they feel has gone above and beyond their
responsibilities. This form enters the teacher or staff member in a monthly drawing for
a gift card and a special parking space. Volunteers are needed to distribute and collect
the forms, maintain the drawing and prizes, and type up the nominations for the
5) CEDAR RIDGE PUBLISHING CO.- The publishing company is designed to encourage
creative writing among students. Students will submit their stories and artwork to the
PTA to be typed and bound in hardcover. This committee needs SEVERAL volunteers to
type and put together books.
6) COMMUNITY PARTNERS- Throughout the year, Cedar Ridge PTA holds Spirit Night
fundraisers at area businesses to encourage a successful partnership between
education and local commerce. Volunteers are needed to help organize these events
and collect funds raised, as well as maintain relationships with community partners.
7) DIRECTORY- Each year the PTA puts together and sells a Cedar Ridge Directory. The
directory includes information for all students whose parents allow their information to
be published. Volunteers are needed to collect funds and create, print, and distribute
8) EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS- PTA brings exciting programs and curriculum based
assemblies to our school several times during the year. This committee is in charge of
working with the Principal to choose these assemblies, as well as organizing and
overseeing all aspects of the event.
9) FIFTH GRADE PARTY- Each year the PTA plans and hosts a party for the graduating
fifth grade class to celebrate their years at Cedar Ridge. Volunteers are needed to plan
the event within the budget, organize volunteers, order and distribute t-shirts, etc…
10) FOUNDATION REPRESENTATIVES- Each year, Cedar Ridge PTA puts together baskets to
auction at the Union Foundation Dinner. The money raised goes to various projects
that improve the Union School District. Volunteers are needed to gather and organize
items, put together the baskets, and deliver to the Foundation.
11) GARDENING/LANDSCAPE- The Cedar Ridge PTA helps maintain and improve the
landscape around the school building throughout the year. Volunteer’s duties include
planting, mulching, weeding, and watering the flowerbeds as needed.
12) HISTORIAN- A yearly scrapbook is put together to display the many events the PTA is
involved in throughout the school year. This book is taken to the Annual PTA
Convention each summer. Duties for this committee include taking pictures at each
event, and organizing and putting together the scrapbook.
13) CLASSROOM COORIDINATOR- This person will be in charge of working with the
teacher to plan the classroom parties and events throughout the school year. Duties
will include planning parties, organizing volunteers, delegating responsibilities to
Classroom Assistants, sending letters or emails to parents of all event details, etc…
They will also be responsible for organizing teacher birthday gifts and activities for
Teacher Appreciation Week.
14) CLASSROOM ASSISTANTS- These volunteers will meet with the Classroom Coordinator to
help plan and prepare for classroom parties and events throughout the school year.
15) HOSPITALITY- The Cedar Ridge PTA is proud of our AMAZING teachers and staff! The
Hospitality Committee is in charge of planning events to honor our faculty. Duties for
this committee include planning the Back to School Luncheon for the faculty,
organizing dinner or snacks for conference nights, and overseeing events during
Teacher Appreciation Week.
16) JOG-A-THON- PTA holds an annual jog-a-thon each fall as our main fundraiser for the
year. This committee oversees the entire event. Duties include organizing the kick-off,
planning prizes, ordering t-shirts, distributing forms, collecting funds, etc… MANY
volunteers are needed on the day of the event to help run all activities.
17) KLOTHES KLOSET- The Klothes Kloset is a Union District PTA program that is designed
to benefit Union students in need of school clothes. This committee works with the
school counselor to organize a clothes drive and prepare donated items to be picked
up by the Klothes Kloset bus.
18) MEDIA CENTER VOLUNTEERS- Volunteers are needed to work in the Media Center. The
volunteers usually work one morning or afternoon each week, which enables our Media
Specialist to spend more time with the students and to hold story time.
Responsibilities include checking books in and out to students and shelving returned
19) MEMBERSHIP- This committee is in charge of planning, organizing and running the
PTA membership drive. Cedar Ridge strives for 100% parent participation! Volunteer
duties include planning a yearly theme, advertising and selling memberships,
organizing parties for winning classes/grades, etc…
20) NEWSLETTER- The PTA puts out a newsletter each month with the latest news and
activities going on at Cedar Ridge. This committee is responsible for coming up with
creative ways to announce current events at the school, and distributing the newsletter
to all subscribers.
21) PIZZA DAY- Pizza Day volunteers are needed to sort and distribute pizza to all
classrooms and faculty one afternoon a month, from October to May. Chairman duties
include collecting and managing funds and organizing delivery schedules and
22) RED RIBBON WEEK- This committee works with the school counselor to promote the
Red Ribbon Week campaign (Drug/alcohol awareness). They are responsible for
picking a theme for each day of the week, such as crazy hair day, clothes inside out,
etc. Red Ribbon Week is usually in October.
23) REFLECTIONS- Reflections is a National PTA creative arts program in which students
submit entries to be judged in one of six categories. Volunteers are needed to
distribute and collect entry forms, display entries in the Art Gallery, and coordinate an
awards assembly/reception for participants.
24) SCIENCE LAB- Volunteers are needed to help with science lab maintenance, or help
your child's teacher on science lab days. Please let us know if you are interested in
teaching a lesson, doing a demonstration or experiment, or be willing to speak on a
science related job.
25) SPRING FLING WEEK- Spring Fling is a fundraiser held for five days each spring. This
committee is in charge of planning daily activities, organizing volunteers, collecting
and counting funds, etc…
26) SPIRIT WEAR- The Spirit Wear Committee designs Cedar Ridge t-shirts/sweat shirts to
sell at the beginning of the school year. Volunteers are needed to organize displays,
send home forms, collect and manage funds, and distribute shirts to students.
27) TESTING MONITORS- During the spring, several grade levels are required to participate
in standardized testing. Most tests are held each morning for one week. However,
there may be a need for afternoon coverage on occasion. Volunteers are needed to be
classroom monitors. Monitors sit in the classroom to ensure a quiet atmosphere. The
approximate time for volunteering is 9:00-12:00.
28) VETERAN DAY/FLAG VOLUNTEERS- Each year on Veterans Day, we have an assembly to
honor our Veterans. Volunteers are needed to decorate the bookcases in the art
gallery, host a reception for the veterans by serving refreshments, and other tasks. On
national holidays that are considered days to proudly display the American flag,
volunteers are needed to help put up and take down the flags that line the front of the
school. This would be an ideal opportunity for parents who drive their children to and
from school, the time commitment on those days would be approximately 20-30
29) VISION AND HEARING SCREENING- Volunteers are needed to help the school nurse
with eye charts, hearing monitors, weighing and measuring height. Morning and
afternoon volunteers are needed, usually sometime in September.
30) VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR- Duties include updating and distributing volunteer forms,
collecting completed forms, and distributing volunteer lists to all committee Chairmen.
They will also be in charge of assigning Classroom Coordinators and meeting with
them to go over yearly duties at the beginning of the year, as well as help in finding
committee chairs for the following year. This person(s) will be the main volunteer
liaison throughout the year.
31) WEBSITE COORDINATOR- Duties include updating the PTA website monthly with current
events and distributing announcements to all subscribers.
32) OTHER VOLUNTEER OPPURTUNITIES- Throughout the school year, additional volunteer
needs may arise. If you have a flexible schedule and are willing to help, please let us