The need for a school in the Flower Mound community was recognized early. Less than one year after the lottery opening the area to white settlement, community members pushed for organization of a school. Accordingly, on April 14, 1902, County Superintendent Leo A. McBrain issued notice of a special meeting to locate a school site. Land that originally belonged to Noel P. Christian, who later served as Comanche County Sheriff and was an uncle to the Sullivans who presently live in the district, was donated to house the school.
On April 26, 1902, Charles Stephens, C.P. Christian and R.B. Stewart were elected school district officers. The name Flower Mound was selected because of the predominance of flowers on the hill where the school building was built.
Flower Mound lacked only a building and a teacher. Utilizing the community spirit, the school was "raised" and a teacher, Miss Swift, retained. On July 8, 1902, a regular school board election was held and F.W. Price, A.B. Carpenter, and G.F. Japp were elected to regular terms. School began in the fall of 1902.
The pride of the community's effort did not remain on the horizon long. On the night of the first Christmas program in December, 1903, the school building burned. Rumors of arson persist to this day and patrons reported seeing a man run from the burning school. Others insisted that the candles on the tree had ignited the fire. Whatever the cause, the school building lay in a pile of ashes.
The fire proved to be only a temporary setback and community members rallied to build an even better building. In 1905, students opened the year in a new schoolhouse - one which would serve fifty years as the home of Flower Mound School.