Frequently Asked Questions
- What subjects are taught and assessed in fourth grade?
- What can you tell me about the Reading curriculum?
- What can you tell me about the Math curriculum?
- What can you tell me about the Spelling curriculum?
- What can you tell me about the Social Studies curriculum?
- What can you tell me about the Science curriculum?
- What is the Dallas School District's grading system?
- What are the classroom rules and consequences?
- What is the procedure regarding book orders?
- What is the procedure for lunch money?
What subjects are taught and assessed in fourth grade?
Reading, English, Spelling, Math, Science, and Social Studies are
subjects that are taught in fourth grade.
What can you tell me about the Reading curriculum?
The Dallas School District utilizes the Scott Foresman Reading
It is a literature-based integrated program which means that
award winning stories have been compiled and are used as a
springboard to strengthen reading, vocabulary, phonics, grammar,
What can you tell me about the Math curriculum?
The Dallas School District utilizes the Everyday Mathematics
covers the concepts of numeration, counting, measurement, money,
operations, patterns and geometry. This innovative spiral
uses hands-on manipulatives such as dice, playing cards,
game boards, measuring tapes and templates.
What can you tell me about the Spelling curriculum?
The Rebecca Sitton Spelling program is used by the Dallas School
District. It is based upon the mastery of high frequency words.
and Priority word lists will be assessed through two different
cloze story/skills and sentence dictation.
What can you tell me about the Social Studies curriculum?
Throughout the year our fourth graders will experience various
simulations such as Ellis island, Lewis & Clark and the Oregon
Trail. They will problem solve an express themselves accordingly
in written word. Our Language Arts curriculum (Spelling,
Grammar and Grammar) is integrated through our Social Studies
What can you tell me about the Science curriculum?
Fourth grade is the first year students are tested in Science for
the PSSAs. There is a great deal of content we will student
through engaging hands on classroom activities & experiments.
Our topics of study will include Living Things, Ecosystems,
Earth's Changing Surface, Weather and Space, Matter and Energy
and Forces and Motion.
What is the Dallas School District's grading system?
The folllowing is the code of evaluation for the Dallas School
A: 92-100 Excellent
B: 83-91 Above Average
C: 74-82 Average
D: 65-73 Below Average
F: Below 65 Unsatisfactory
*Progress reports will be sent home midway through the marking
period if necessary.
What are the classroom rules and consequences?
The Dallas School District follows the Lee Cantor discipline
The following rules and consequences are posted in every
and can be issued by any teacher.
1. Follow directions the first time they are given.
2. Raise your hand and wait to be called upon before speaking.
3. No teasing, name calling, or loud talking.
4. Keep hands, feet, and objects to yourself.
5. No running anywhere in the building.
1. Warning (yellow)
2. Lose ten minutes of recess (orange)
3. Lose entire recess (blue)
4. Contact parent (green)
5. Send to principal (red)
6. Severe consequence: send to principal (black)
What is the procedure regarding book orders?
Periodically your child will be bringing home book and software
forms. If you wish to make a purchase, please correctly indicate
on the order form and please (if possible) pay by check made out to the
What is the procedure for lunch money?
Each student has an account with a pin number to be used in the
cafeteria. Money sent in by parent/caregiver will be forwarded
cafeteria and placed on the account. This account will be used
and milk purchases only. Snack money must be brought in