The following is a list of the criteria for the 2012-13 school year regarding our Accelerated Reader (AR) program at the Dallas Middle School.
• The book chosen, must be on a fourth-grade reading level or higher
• The student must make sure the book chosen is on the AR list
• The AR book must be approved by Mr. Barbose
• The AR book chosen by the student is expected to accompany the student on a daily basis, to every class. It should also be read at home nightly
• Each student must acccumulate at least 10 points for marking period (This may require one book or several books, check the point value on the AR list.)
• The book's points are earned if the student passes the computerized AR tests in school (scoring a 60% or better) Please note that a student can only achieve the full book's point value by scoring a 100% on the AR test. The computer prorates the amount of points earned based on the test score.
For example: If you take a test on a book worth 5 points, and score an 80% on the AR test for tht particular book, the computer may only allot 3 points.
For example: If you only earn 8.5 points in a given marking period, your AR grade would be and 85%. So an 85% would be averaged in with the rest of the student's grades for that marking period.
• As an added incentive, students achieving 15 or more points in a quarter will be treated to a celebratory reward.
We are currently familiarizing our students to the middle school's resourceful library and the technology procedures for succesfully completing AR tests. Students will have opportunities, during their reading classes, to visit the library about every two weeks to renew books, take AR tests and read quietly. If a student is absent on an AR library day, it will be the student's responsibility to visit the library during an activity period to make up tests and exchange books. Student's may also use the public library, book stores and approved, digital media for AR book resources. With these valuable experiences occurring within the first two weeks of school, it is expected that each student have an approved AR book by September 12th. With this being stated, all sixth grade students will have no less than Ocober 24, 2012, to complete at least two AR tests.
******UPDATE AS OF OCT. 8th********
Students will be allowed assess to the library during period 2 study halls, as well as, period 3 and 4 reading classes. Students and parents are still reminded that AR tests may be taken on homeroom computers from 7:45- 8;00 daily and during Friday's activity periods. Students must check the book's availablity on the AR book list and have book approval by me before reading it for AR points.