Mrs. Bernatowicz’s Fridge Facts
Week of May 20th-24th
This week’s theme: The Wonderful Changes of Water
This week’s reading skills: Synthesize: create a summary
This week’s phonics skill: verb ending-ed
This week’s grammar skill: compound sentences
This week’s vocabulary words: stage, transform, precipitation
Writer’s Workshop skills: Autobiography- publish and share
This week’s spelling words:
This week’s math skills:
Review and preparation for 3rd grade!
· Introduce the Multiplication Concept
· Addition Facts (sums no greater than 18) Subtraction Facts (with a no number greater than 10).
· Reading a clock and Elapsed Time
· Double Digit Subtraction with regrouping and without regrouping
Science: Air and Weather
- Develop an interest in air and weather.
- Experience air as a material that takes up space and can be compressed into a smaller space.
- Observe the force of air pressure pushing on objects and materials.
- Observe and describe changes that occur in weather over time.
- Become familiar with instruments used by meteorologists to monitor air and weather conditions.
- Compare monthly and seasonal weather conditions using bar graphs.
- Observe the location of the Sun and the Moon in the sky over a day and the change in the appearance of the Moon over a month.
- Organize and communicate observations through drawing and writing.
- Acquire vocabulary associated with properties of air and weather conditions.
This Week’s Special Schedule:
Thursday- Library/Media Center
The following is the homework expectation for the remainder of the year unless otherwise specified:
1. Please remember to select 3 spelling activities to complete by Friday.
2. Practice your Rocket Ship Math facts each night. Any questions please contact me.
3. Each night your child is to read at least 10-15 minutes to themselves, someone in the family, responsible friend, etc.
4. Remember to sign your child’s agenda each night that you have reviewed and discussed homework and what has come home in the red folder.
Special News and Announcements: **please review carefully**
· Field days will be held Tuesday, May 21st. Please remember to dress your child appropriate for the weather and plenty of physical activity. Depending on the weather, you may want to send sunscreen with your child to apply before we head up to the high school.
· No school Monday, May 27th. Happy Memorial Day!
· Upcoming field trip: Asbury Woods June 4th.
Here is further information regarding math fact goals by the end of the year:
By the end of the year, students in Second Grade, in one minute, should be able to complete about:
· 20 addition math facts (to 18) AND… (40 for 2 minutes)
· 15 subtraction facts (to 18). (30 for 2 minutes)