Top Ten Questions of Fifth Grade Parents
- What is the best way to contact you?
- Who do I do if my child is absent?
- What if I need to contact one of the other fifth grade teachers?
- What are the biggest differences between fourth and fifth grade?
- What topics will my child learn in fifth grade?
- How much homework will my child receive?
- What field trips will my child be going on?
- When should my child's assignment book be signed?
- How are tests and quizzes returned?
- Will this be a wonderful and memorable last year at Parkway Manor for my child?
What is the best way to contact you?
For short messages, please feel free to email me or send a note
with your child. I usually check my email 2-3 times per day. If
you would like to discuss your child's progress in more detail,
please call me at 610-351-5900 extension 26142.
Who do I do if my child is absent?
* Expected Absence- Please have your child bring in a note in
advance with the date(s) of absence. Vacation permits are
available either through me or the Parkway Manor office. You may
request homework assignments prior to leaving.
*Unexpected Absence- Call the attendance hotline at 610-351-5900
What if I need to contact one of the other fifth grade teachers?
Mrs. Sherri Breinich- ext. 26149 firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Wendy DiPasquale- ext. 26140 email@example.com
Mr. Steve Fedorak- ext. 26143 firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Kelly Richenaker- ext. 26142 email@example.com
What are the biggest differences between fourth and fifth grade?
* More homework, responsibilites, and independence
* Possible participation in chorus, Morning at the Manor, Helping
Hands, Peer Mediation, and gym helpers
* Preparation for middle school transition
What topics will my child learn in fifth grade?
* Using Strategies
* Data and Statistics
* Operations of Whole Numbers
* Decimal Operations (+,-,x,/)
* Fraction Operations (+,-,x,/)
* Rations, Proportions, Percents
* Thinking Like a Scientist
* Health: Skeletal, Muscular, Nervous Systems
* Solar System
* Living Things
* Light and Sound
* Human Growth and Development
* Early American Culture
* Revolutionary War
* Westward Expansion
* Civil War
How much homework will my child receive?
Most nights, fifth graders will receive approximately 50 minutes
* Math- daily practice
* Science/Social Studies- Experiment write-ups, follow up
questions, finishing class activity, readings, etc.
* Language Arts- spelling, grammar, and writing practice
What field trips will my child be going on?
Typically, fifth grade travels to the following places throughout
the year. *Please note- trips are subject to change
* Allentown Symphony Hall - Nutcracker Ballet
* Weller Center - Human Growth and Development Presentation
- This year, The Weller Center will visit us at Parkway Manor!
* Parkland High School - Fifth Grade Band and Strings Concert
* Fifth Grade picnic - Lone Lane Park, Upper Macungie Township
When should my child's assignment book be signed?
For most students, assignment books should be signed on Friday
and returned (to be checked) on Monday. To keep up to date with
classroom assignments and happenings, it might be helpful to look
over your child's assignment book on a daily basis.
How are tests and quizzes returned?
This year, I will be implementing the "Friday
Folder." Each Friday, tests, quizzes, and other graded
assignments will be sent home with your child. Please review
these with your scholar, sign the attached form, and return them
all (inside the folder) to school by Monday. This will be
counted as a missed assignment if it is not handed in on Monday.
Will this be a wonderful and memorable last year at Parkway Manor for my child?
Absolutely, fifth grade just may be the most exciting year yet!