Chapter 10 Forces
Motion- act of moving
Force- push or pull that makes an object move.
*The object will move in the direction of the force
*More force is needed to move heavier objects.
*Objects move faster when you apply more force
Gravity- a force that pulls things to the center of the Earth
Work- a force that makes objects move
If the object does not move – there is no work!
The more force that you use the more work you do!
Friction- a force that slows or stops an object.
It causes heat!
Simple Machines- is a tool with few or no moving parts
1. wedge-is used to push things apart
(knife or beaver’s teeth)
2. screw- used to hold things together
3. lever- used to move things
(screwdriver or bird)
4. wheel and axel- move things
5. inclined plane- move things and it is flat
6. pulley- move things up, down, or sideways
Magnets –can push or pull certain metals (iron and steel)
Attract- to pull toward
Repel- to pull away
Magnets are attracted to opposite poles.
Magnets can move things without even touching them