Some students may enter a workshop or therapeutic activitity
center after graduation. To make the transition from school
more successful, the family should:
- register the student with the MH/MR/DD agency that serves the
county in which the family resides. Funding is based on need.
It is recommended that the student be registered for services
before reaching age 16 so the county has time to plan for
services and funding.
- visit several workshops and/or therapeutic activity centers near
their home to determine which meets the needs of the student.
The student's teacher and other staff member may accompany
the family to help make the appropriate decision.
- Place the student's name on the waiting list.
- Make sure all of the required paper work with the MH/MR/DD
unit is complete so that funding will be available for the
student after graduation.
- During the 'Transition I.E.P.' discuss the possibility of the
student attending W.P.S.D. part time and the workshop or the
therapeutic activity center on a trial basis during the last few
months of the student's senior year. PLEASE NOTE:
Attending the workshop on a trial basis does not mean the
student will automatically be funded for services or that the
student will be accepted into the program after graduation.
For information regarding services in your area, please contact
Ms. Riser or Mr. DiMenno.