INTRODUCING THE "EasyCards" APP FOR iPAD
year students will be utilizing the 99 cents app for iPad called
EasyCards. This app allows you to do your notecards electronically on
your iPad, and then, when you are ready, to send them to me via email
as an attachment. The rules for notecards below have been modified
accordingly. This app will make the process of doing the cards much easier, neater, and efficient. Yay!
NEXT IN ORDER: THE 25 FACT CARDS
Your fact cards should look like this:
RULES FOR FACT CARDS
have topic line somewhere in the top center of the card. You make up
this topic, but all 3 facts on card must be about this topic.
- On the same line as your topic, you must have a unique source # and
unique fact card # (keep a “running count”) separated by a hyphen.
[For example, 3-22 means that the facts all came from source #3 and that
this is your 22nd fact card.]
- Must write facts in complete subjects (subject + predicate + punctuation mark).
- Must number the facts 1, 2, and 3.
- You may finish a long fact on the back of the card if need be.
- Quotes are not facts, but you may write a quote on the back of the card, and write three facts about the quote on the front.
- You may do extra fact cards about the same topic (but need three additional facts for each card).
- You may include for your own research purposes
visual cards with photos, but do not include photos on the front or
back of fact cards that you are submitting to Godfrey. EasyCards uses a
text-only format when it sends the cards to me, so I will not receive
any card with a photo on it.
LAST IN THE STACK: YOUR SOURCE CARDS
Your source cards should look like this:
RULES FOR SOURCE CARDS
- You must have a minimum of three new sources (source cards) each time you submit your cards for grading.
- In order to claim that you have used a source, you must do at least ONE fact card from a source.
- You may re-use a source again the next time notecards are due as long as you have three new sources.
the top center of the card, you must have a source line with unique
number (keep running count). Once you have assigned a source a number,
you will not reuse this number for any other source ---- so when you
get secondary sources for the second nine weeks, many of you will start
with source #7 if you are just doing the minimum number of sources each
- Source must be cited in MLA style. You must create a free account and utilize this website: http://www.easybib.com/
EasyBib is a free bibliography website that allows you to cite sources
easily, correctly, and quickly in the latest MLA version (MLA 7th
edition). All you need to remember to do is add your annotation.
have a two sentence annotation (complete sentences) telling how you
used the work and of what value it was to your research process. The
first sentence should give the reader a thumbnail sketch/evaluation of
the source, and the second sentence should say how you used it.
EasyCards uses a center function (and does not allow for left-margin or
other margins), it takes a little bit of work on your part to follow the hanging indent rule. Press the return key and then the space bar to get an indent. If it is not perfect in EasyCards, then I will be lenient. I know that your final copy of the annotated bibliography (due later) will be perfect because you use EasyBib.com for this.
WHEN YOU ARE READY TO SEND A BATCH
Do not send them to me until I tell you to do so DURING THE CLASS PERIOD OF THE DAY THEY ARE DUE. Then, send me email to my DROPBOX ADDRESS by doing this:
HOW THESE WILL BE GRADED
Research cards count 20% of the nine weeks grade for 1st and 2nd nine weeks – so be sure that you do a neat and correct job with these. Remember that it is solid research that makes a NHD project authentic and historically well-grounded. People can always tell if the project is shoddy due to poor quality research or insufficient information.