*The meanings of these words are what the students are learning. That is what they will be tested on weekly. They are not expected to read these words, but some students will be able to and that is great (but not required). :) *
Sam, Come Back!
1. needs-things people must have to live
2. responsibility-something you are expected to do
3. shelter-the place in which you live
4. cuddle-to hold something close
5. tickle-to touch lightly and make one laugh
6. faithful-one who is always there for you
7. fetch-to go get something
8. heel-to follow closely at your heels
Pig in a Wig
1. career-an occupation or profession
2. service-work done to help others
3. tool-something that helps people do work
4. scrub-to clean by rubbing hard
5. sloppy-wet or messy
6. exercise-moving your body to keep it in shape
7. comfort-someone or something that makes you feel better
8. search-to look for something carefully
The Big Blue Ox
1. past-something that has already happened
2. present-something that is happening now
3. produce-to make or create something
4. transportation-moving people or things from one place to another
5. danger-something that can hurt you
6. serve-to do work for or to help
7. snuggle-to lie close to someone or something and get comfortable
8. enormous-very, very big
9. powerful-very strong
A Fox and a Kit
1. observe-to watch something closely
2. wild-not cared for of controlled
3. parent-a father or mother
5. dangle-to swing loosely from side to side
6. nape-the back part of your neck
7. medicine-a drug that helps you feel better or makes you well
8. poisonous-something that can cause sickness or death
Get the Eggs
1. habitat-the place where an animal or a plant lives or grows.
2. hatch - to come out of an egg
3. survive - to stay alive or live through
4. gentle -mild an soft
5. nudge- to push someone without much force.
6. perch-to rest or sit on something
7.private-it is done alone or hidden from others
8. moist-it is slightly wet or damp.
1. desert-a very dry area usually covered with sand
2. forest-a place with many trees
3. world-all of the earth
4. surf-to ride
6. snug-cozy and safe
7. native-from a certain place
8. reserve- a place set aside for special use
A Big Fish for Max
1. chore - is a job
2. cooperation - working together
3. household - is your home and what goes on there.
4. rule - is a guide for how you should act
5. commuter - to travel often between home and school or work
6. subway - is a train that runs under the ground
7. downtown - the place in a city where offices and stores are
8. display - to put things in a place where people can see them.
The Farmer in the Hat
1. group-a number of people or things that belong together
2. respect-to show you think a lot of someone or something
3. share-to let someone else have, use, or do something
4. aquarium-a place where you can see fish and underwater animals
5. borrow-to take and use something and then give it back
6. lines-the words an actor speaks
7. rehearsal-a practice
8. soothe-to make something feel better
Who Works Here?
1. citizen- a person who lives in a certain location
2. community - the town or city in which you live
3. law- a rule that tells people what they can and cannot do
4. leader - the head of a group
5. headquarters - places where business or city leaders work
6. patrol - to move around, watching or guarding
7. branch - a smaller type of a larger bank, library, or office
8. earn- you are paid for work you do
The Big Circle
1. enemy - a person or animal that wants to cause harm to another.
2. extinct-no longer exists.
3. protect- to keep someone or something safe.
4. crater - a big hole.
5. Holler- a loud cry or shout.
6. swamp- an area of muddy, wet land.
7. bluff- to pretend or try to make someone believe something that isn't true.
8. boisterous- wild and noisy
Life in the Forest
1. environment- the world around you that affects how you live and grow.
2. require- to need or insist on having.
3. thrive- to stay healthy and grow
4. inhale - to draw in
5. slimy - it is covered with a slippery, gooey material
6. sludge - a thick, wet, slimy material
7. capture - to catch
8. creature- a living animal or person
1. individual- one person
2. industrious- a person who works hard
3.special - different from or really good
4. creep- to move slowly and quietly
5. slither - to move along by sliding
6. romp - to move or play in a lively way
7. eagerly - with excitement
8. wander - to move from place to place without reason
An Egg is an Egg
1. adult-a grownup
2. healthy-strong and well
3. measurement-the size or amount of something
4. shuffle-to walk slowly and drag your feet
5. teeter-to walk in a wobbly way as if you are about to fall
6. crooked-not straight
7. bounce-to spring back after hitting something
Ruby in Her Own Time
1. attempt-to try to do something
2. event-something that happens
3. time line-the order you follow to succeed at something
5. flatter-to say something very nice about someone that may not be true
6. correct-to change something to make it right
7. awkward-a movement that is not smooth
8. lovely-not very pretty
Jan's New Home
1. arrive-to get somewhere
2. depart-to leave
3. location-the place where something is
4. route-the way you go to get somewhere
5. swoop-to move down suddenly
6. tumble-to roll or toss about
7. crumple-to crush something into wrinkles
8. stampede-a wild rush of animals or people
Frog and Toad Together
1. gardener-someone who grows plants
2. nature-everything in the world that is not made by people
3. sprout-to begin to grow
4. dim-not bright
5. shade-a place that is darker than the area around it because light has been blocked
from the sun
6. blossom-the flower of a plant
7. destroy-to ruin something
8. humongous-very, very big
I'm a Caterpillar
1. cycle-a series of events that always happens in the same order
2. develop-to grow
3. insect-an animal that has six legs and usually has wings
4. rearrange-to put things in a different order
5. yearly-once a year
6. emerge-to come into view
7. fragile-something that can be easily broken
8. vessel-a thin tube inside your body
Where Are My Friends?
1. hibernate-to spend the winter sleeping
2. migrate-to move from one place to another
3. season-one of the four parts of the year
4. temperature-how cold or hot something is
5. autumn- one of the four seasons
6. freeze-to turn into something hard because of the cold
7. bitterly-in a sad or painful way
8. weary-very tired
Mama's Birthday Present
1. celebrate-to have a party or other activity to honor a special event
2. cherish-to love and understand how important something is
3. grateful-to be thankful for something
4. delicate-something that is easily hurt or broken
5. rarest-the least common
6. loot-a collection of things that are found or stolen
1. create-to make something new
2. doodle-a scribble
3. imagination-to see things in your mind that aren't there or to think of
4. carve-to make by cutting
5. hobby-something people do for fun in their spare time
6. inspiration- a sudden, bright idea
7. masterpiece-a great piece of work
8. sculptor-an artist who makes or carves things out of stone, wood,
metal or other material
1. excavate-to remove, uncover, or make by digging
2. fossil-the remains of a plant or animal that lived long ago
3. soil-the top part of the ground in which plants grow
4. abandon-to leave something behind
5. splinter-a sharp, thin piece broken off from a larger piece of something
6. sunken-beneath the surface of the water
7. decompose-to rot
8. nourish-to provide food and other things needed for life
The Lady in the Moon
1. delightful-very pleasing
3. symbol-something that stands for something else
4. memory-the power to remember (A memory is something you remember)
5. errand-a short trip to do something
6. fiesta-a festival or celebration
7. ordinary-common or average
8. refreshments-things to eat and drink
1. jealous-to wish you had what someone else has
2. relatives-people belonging to the same family
3. sibling-your brother or sister
4. secret-something you don't tell very many people
5.porridge-a food like oatmeal
6. collector-someone who gathers things together
7.flourish-to do something with an excited action
8. seriousness-not in a joking way
Henry and Mudge
1. discover-to find something for the first time
2. dwell- to live in
3. resident- a person who lives in a cartain place
4. welcome-to let others know you are glad to see them
5. admire-to think a lot of someone
6. sadness-a feeling of unhappiness
7. substantial-a lot of something
8. tremendous-very big or large
Tippy Toe Chick, Go!
1. clever - you have a quick mind
2. intend- to do something 3. predicament - a problem
4. proudly - You hold your head high and look pleased with yourself
5. plump - full and round
6. scrawny - it is very thin
7. advice - an idea about how to act or solve a problem
8. wise - people who are wise make good decisions
Mole and the Baby Bird
1. freedom - you are able to move around or do things without being held back.
2. miserable - you are very unhappy.
3. selfish - you think only of yourself and not of others.
4. dawn - the early morning when it starts getting light.
5. scaly - it is covered with scales or flakes.
6. speckled - it has small dots or patches that are more than one color.
7. fond - you like it a lot.
8. proper - correct
9. scarcely - means hardly
Dot & Jabber
1. explanation - you tell how to do something.
2. riddle - problem that is hard to figure out.
3. wonder - something you want to know about.
4. rafters - long pieces of wood inside a building that hold up the roof.
5. darling - a person who is loved very much.
6. gorgeous - it is very beautiful.
7. case- a set of problems that needs to be looked into to see what happened.
8. suspect - is someone believed to be guilty of a crime.
1. convenient - it is easy to use and saves you time or work.
2. equipment - the peices or parts needed to do something special.
3. gadget - is a small tool that is used for a certain purpose.
4. engine - a machine that is used to run another machine.
5. pilot - a person who fliles a plane.
6. steer - to cause transportation to go in a certain direction.
7. cellar - a room or rooms built underground.
8. furnace - used to warm buildings.
Alexander Graham Bell
1. determined - having your mind made up.
2. inventor - a person who makes something for the first time.
3. technology - the tools we use to make our lives easier.
4. stable - it is not likely to fall apart.
5. stall - to stop suddenly.
6. biplane - a plane that has two sets of wings.
7. sketch - something you draw it quickly.
8. speech - a talk.
1. contraption - a machine
2. doubt - a feeling of not believing in yourself or not knowing.
3. energy - it takes strength.
4. glider - an airplane without an engine that is kept up in the air by the
5. unmanned - a plan that has no pilot.
6. soar - it can fly high in the air.
7. curious - it is strange or unusual.
8. intelligent - bright or smart.