October 2012 Update:
Life is full of magical moments so please encourage your student to capture and share them with our PTA Reflections Program. The Reflections Program is a great way for your student to show their creativity by reflecting on this year's theme, "The Magic of a Moment".
Students are encouraged to submit their original works of art in any or all of six categories: dance choreography, film production, literature, musical composition, photography, and visual arts. More information including submission guidelines is located at: http://www.txpta.org/programs/reflections/
Projects are due November 1 and 2 and may be dropped off in the Reflections box located in the CRE PTA library. Please include an entry form with each project. Each student who participates will receive $10 in Cactus Cash and will be recognized with a Reflections dog tag. For more information please contact Jessica Murillo at email@example.com.
The PTA Reflections Program is an arts recognition and achievement program for students K-12. The Reflections Program provides opportunities for students to express themselves creatively and to receive positive recognition for original works of art inspired by the yearly theme, while increasing community awareness on the importance of arts in education. Creating art is a valuable learning process that challenges students to use their critical thinking skills as well as their creative talents to create art that supports a specific theme.
Students may submit an entry in any or all of the six arts areas listed below:
2. Musical Composition
4. Visual Arts
5. Dance Choreography
6. Film/Video Production
Participation in the Reflections Program is organized by school grade and works are critiqued against others in the same grade division. This allows recognition and judging of artworks by appropriate developmental age and skill levels. The two elementary grade divisions are as follows:
1. Primary: Preschool - Grade 2
2. Intermediate: Grades 3-5
New for 2012-2013 is a Special Artist category open to students whose physical, cognitive, or mental health challenges meet the guidelines set forth in the Americans Disabilities Act.
CRE students who enter will receive the following for participating: one ribbon or certificate, $10 Cactus Cash, 1 Dog Tag, and the opportunity to display their work in our CRE Artist Gallery of Honor.
1. All entries submitted must be original works and must relate to the annual Reflections Program theme “The Magic of a Moment”. Entries must be new works that are produced specifically for this competition and theme.
2. Each entry must be the work of only one student. Assistance from teachers, parents, or friends is not permitted except in special cases (such as for those with visual or physical disabilities).
3. Participation encourages creativity and exploration. Students should do their best -- crooked lines, incorrect musical notes, or misspelled words do not disqualify anyone. Interpretation of theme is the most important element.
How to Participate:
Every student at Cactus Ranch is invited to participate. Please follow these steps for a successful entry:
1. Choose a category to participate in: Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Musical Composition, Photography, or Visual Arts.
2. Review the rules and guidelines associated with your selected category. Pay special attention to any size or material specifications or limitations.
3. Produce your original art, without assistance, according to the guidelines and write an artist's statement about how your art piece relates to the theme "The Magic of a Moment"
4. Submit your artwork in the Reflections box located inside the Cactus Ranch Library with an entry form November 1-2.
Cactus Ranch entries will be evaluated for Regional competition in early November. Entries will be blind judged by three independent experts in the associated field.
Entries will be rated as follows:
50% artist's interpretation of the theme
25% measures of creativity
25% artistic merit
The top 20% of entries at Cactus Ranch will advance to District competition and will have the opportunity to advance to State and National competitions.
Please contact Jessica Murillo at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. Student Participation Guidelines
Cactus Ranch Reflections Entry Form