The involvement of the Sisters of the Holy Spirit and Mary Immaculate with Little Flower School began in July 1926, when the general administration decided to take responsibility for staffing a school in the newly formed parish of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel and Little Flower in San Antonio's Westside.
There was no money to build a school, but two classrooms were erected in the Church using a partition and using folding doors helped obscure the altar. After classes were dismissed, the doors were opened and the desks were arranged at both sides so the Church would be ready for the evening and following morning. This was the routine twice a day for two years. Over the years, as enrollment increased the Sisters were able to secure other locations within the proximity of the Church to teach school.
In May of 1946, with enrollment at three hundred and twenty students, the Carmelite Fathers of San Antonio at last were able to build a new parochial grammar and high school to accommodate six hundred students. The structure was constructed of Indiana Limestone to match in style and material of the Shrine of the Little Flower.
It was hoped that this school would be a center of spirituality, which would radiate in the life of each and every student the depths, the beauty, and the splendor of the life of St. Therese.
Today, Little Flower School continues to serve students throughout the San Antonio area. Little Flower places a strong emphasis on religious instruction and helps children grow in understanding of Christian living. The school is staffed with qualified faculty who are dedicated to academic excellence and strong Christian values. Strong parental involvement is encouraged. The school is accredited by the Texas Catholic Conference Education Department and recognized by the Texas Education Agency while implementing curriculum which meets and exceeds TEA requirements. Little Flower is open to ALL children regardless of race, color, creed, sex, or ethnic background.
The Holy Spirit Sisters have continued to administer and staff. Little Flower School since 1926. In 2002, lay administrators began to work in the school.
Under capable direction the school continues to thrive and students continue to excel both in spiritual and academic areas. Both staff and students alike take seriously the advice of St. Therese, our patroness, to do the ordinary extraordinarily well and to spread God’s love to all with whom we come in contact.