Mrs. Pickel -- 7th and 8th Grade Language Arts
SPECIAL NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT TURN THE FOLLOWING ITEMS INTO ME AT THE
BEGINNING OF THE YEAR!!
These items will be needed for your child’s use during year.
. An Assignment Notebook - PTSO sells these for $5
• Spiral bound subject NOTEBOOKS for class notes, etc.
• ENGLISH BINDER with dividers & packs of wide ruled paper
• Pencil pouch with a good supply of #2 pencils, erasers, pens
• Large supply of RED PENS or red pencils
• Small plastic student 3-HOLE PUNCH (fits into binders)
• Small Student dictionary & thesaurus
• Highlighters, 1 safety scissor
• Small crayons, markers
• Two folders with pockets (for student use during the year)
• Post-it notes (Students KEEP for use during the year)
. Small stapler and staples
Students turn in the following at the beginning of the year:
Package of wet wipes
1 box of soft tissues
1 roll of paper towels
1 large package individually wrapped candy and/or healthy
treats as fun incentives. (Please let us know if your child
has any special dietary or allergy concerns.)
During the school year, students will be reading books of their
choice (on or above their reading/grade level) in the following
genres. These should not be books you have already read in earlier grades!
1st 6-weeks - historical fiction
2nd 6-weeks - contemporary fiction
3rd 6-weeks - science fiction or fantasy
4th 6-weeks - biography
5th 6-weeks - a classic
6th 6-weeks - student choice of any of the above
Students may choose to get started reading early! These novels may
be library books. Suggestions of each genre are listed on this website
and on the back of the language arts syllabus. This syllabus is on my
website under handouts for you to print.