Honors Biology and Anatomy & Physiology Instructor
Irene Paine is a former home educator from Angier, North Carolina, who loves to teach and learn, loves organization and structure, loves to lead and encourage, and loves to laugh! Originally from Southern California and the youngest girl of 12 children, Irene and her family moved to a small agricultural community in Southern Illinois when she was ten. Determined to become a pediatric nurse, Irene was the first in her family to attend college. After receiving her degree in nursing and becoming an RN, she worked in the oncology/hematology field, and that's where she discovered her love of teaching.
Since moving to North Carolina, Irene and her family have been blessed to be part of a large and active homeschooling environment, which has supported and enriched the homeschooling of her two sons from birth to present day. Her older son, Aaron, is a graduate of Patrick Henry College, Purcellville, VA, lives in MD, and is pursuing his Master's degree in Washington, DC. Her younger son, Jordan, attends Anderson University in Anderson, SC. Irene has taught a variety of science classes throughout her own kids' middle school and high school years, and in 2014 she began the the new adventure of teaching classes online. In addition to bringing the sciences to life for her students, Irene has taught piano lessons and has served as a coach for SpeakOut, a local homeschool speech and debate club. From 1998 to 2009, she served as one of the choir directors for the Capital Area Homeschool Choirs, and from 2008 to 2015, Irene served as one of the adult advisors for a large homeschool national honor society chapter.
Irene's wide-ranging interests include music, sports (loves football), working out at the gym, doing crafts, sewing, painting with chalk paint, organizing a friend's home, reading, and serving at her church. Teaching classes while she has homeschooled her own sons has been one of the best rides in her life. Irene enjoys getting to know each of her students. From the first lab report edits that a student receives, her passion for guiding students to ever-more concise, accurate, and effective communication is evident. To be able to award a student a well-earned grade for demonstrated competency in science is one of her greatest joys.
- Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, IL
- Clinical Nurse III/Nursing Administrator
- Raleigh Family Practice, Raleigh, NC
- Ventura County Oncology/Hematology Medical Office, Ventura, CA
- St. John's Medical Center, Oxnard, CA
- K through 12th Home Educator (1999-2016)
- High School Science taught to classes of homeschoolers:
- 2013-2017 Honors Biology; Anatomy & Physiology
- 2013-2014 Honors Chemistry
- 2012-2013 Honors Biology; Honors Chemistry
- 2011-2012 Honors Biology
- 2006-2011 General Science; Physical Science
- Capital Area National Home School Honor Society Advisor, 2008-2015
- SpeakOut Coach, 2010-2017