Honors English Instructor
Christine Proctor is a home educator from Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, who is an avid reader, sometime writer, and all-time enthusiastic supporter of the English language. With one son in college, one in the working world, and one still immersed in high school studies, Christine's sixteen years of homeschooling has entered a new phase: teaching online! Besides bringing the English language to life for her three young men, Christine also continues to teach and tutor other homeschooled students in English literature and writing. Grading papers, correcting grammar exercises, reading great literature out loud, holding poetry and drama readings, working one-on-one as a writing instructor as well as "coach," and assisting high school seniors with college application essays keeps Christine busy on a daily basis. Her degree in journalism from the University of North Carolina, as well as her work experience as a news reporter and as a copywriter for a national advertising agency, has helped just a little!
Raising three boys with multiple interests has broadened Christine's horizons beyond her love of reading, writing, photography, and fostering dogs for a rescue group-to the finer things in life like art, music, dance, drama, and of course, sports. Though she might not be on the field or behind the piano, she actively contributes to each community, and each of these activities has deepened her experiences-which are reflected in her teaching. Opportunities to lead classes in poetry, dramatic writing, and storybook art have come her way through both the homeschool community and her church. And one can never underestimate the benefits of an engaging book club!
From the first edits students receive on their papers, Christine's love for effective and artful communication is evident. Nothing brings her greater satisfaction than reading a piece of writing that reveals a student's understanding of the subject and the ability to clearly convey it. Well, maybe a scoop of dark chocolate raspberry ice cream could compete.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- BA with Honors in Journalism, 1987
- Professional Writer
- Newspaper Reporter, Fuquay-Varina Independent
- Copywriter, Rockett Burkhead Advertising Agency
- K through 12th Home Educator (1999-2013)
- High School English taught to classes of homeschoolers:
- 2014-2015 Blue Tent Online Honors English 1; Blue Tent Online Honors English 2
- 2013-2014 Blue Tent Online Honors English 1; Blue Tent Online Honors English 2
- 2012-2013 Blue Tent Online Honors English 2
- 2009-2012 English 9; English 10; Individual tutoring (IEW/WriteShop)
- Parent/student testimonials: Blue Tent Results & Feedback
Honors Biology and Anatomy & Physiology Instructor
Irene Paine is a home educator from Angier, North Carolina, who loves to teach and learn, loves organization and structure, loves to lead and encourage, and loves to laugh! Originally from Southern California and the youngest girl of 12 children, Irene and her family moved to a small agricultural community in Southern Illinois when she was ten. Determined to become a pediatric nurse, Irene was the first in her family to attend college. After receiving her degree in nursing and becoming an RN, she worked in the oncology/hematology field, and that's where she discovered her love of teaching.
Since moving to North Carolina, Irene and her family have been blessed to be part of a large and active homeschooling environment, which has supported and enriched the homeschooling of her two sons from birth to present day. She currently homeschools her younger son, who is in his junior year of high school; her older son is a junior at Patrick Henry College in Northern Virginia. Irene has taught a variety of science classes throughout her own kids' middle school and high school years, and in 2014 she began the the new adventure of teaching classes online. In addition to bringing the sciences to life for her students, Irene teaches piano lessons and serves as a coach for SpeakOut, a local homeschool speech and debate club. From 1998 to 2009, she served as one of the choir directors for the Capital Area Homeschool Choirs, and since 2008, Irene has served as one of the adult advisors for a large homeschool national honor society chapter.
Irene's wide-ranging interests include music, sports (loves football), working out at the gym, doing crafts, sewing, painting with chalk paint, organizing a friend's home, reading, and serving at her church. Teaching classes while she has homeschooled her own sons has been one of the best rides in her life. Irene enjoys getting to know each of her students. From the first lab report edits that a student receives, her passion for guiding students to ever-more concise, accurate, and effective communication is evident. To be able to award a student a well-earned grade for exceptional lab reports and for demonstrated competency in science is one of her greatest joys.
- Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, IL
- Clinical Nurse III/Nursing Administrator
- Raleigh Family Practice, Raleigh, NC
- Ventura County Oncology/Hematology Medical Office, Ventura, CA
- St. John's Medical Center, Oxnard, CA
- K through 12th Home Educator (1999-current)
- High School Science taught to classes of homeschoolers:
- 2014-2015 Honors Biology; Anatomy & Physiology
- 2013-2014 Honors Biology; Honors Chemistry; Anatomy & Physiology
- 2012-2013 Honors Biology; Honors Chemistry
- 2011-2012 Honors Biology
- 2006-2011 General Science; Physical Science
- Capital Area National Home School Honor Society Advisor, 2008-present
- SpeakOut Coach, 2010-present