8:15-8:30 – Arrival
-As students arrive to the classroom they:
- -Greet teachers and friends with Salams
- -Unpack their school bags
- -Take out their white envelopes and place them on top of their mailboxes in the basket
- -Put their lunch boxes in their cubbies
- -Exchange their outside shoes with their inside shoes
- -Read the morning message
8:30-9:00 – Journals
-Students will draw a picture and write about their drawings. They will sound out words to write about their illustrations. Many students may need assistance with this step. As time goes on students will begin to follow the conventions of writing (punctuation, spacing, capitalization, etc.) Once they are finished, they read their writing/drawing to a teacher before going to the library to read/look at books.
9:00-9:30 – Morning Meeting
- -Recite Surah Fatiha
-Greeting: Children greet each other by different activities
- -Sharing: Students share a story, book, etc. on their sharing days (schedule will be sent out in the following couple of weeks)
- -Group Activity: The whole class does a short activity to build a community and a sense of belonging
- -Morning Message: read it together. Morning message consists of what students will be focusing on for that day. Students are asked to be word detectives and circle a certain letter/word or look for punctuation marks.
- -Review and ask what we did the day before.
-When introducing the lesson of the day, we will read a book/poem, have a discussion, etc.
- -Model ‘the table jobs’ that will be completed that day in the work cycle.
9:30-11:00 – Daily Math/Writing/Art
- -The work cycle consists of three different activities that will be completed by the students. Once they are finished with their job, they will find a quiet activity, such as read books, complete puzzles, complete a ‘Time Wait’ activity (a word puzzle, coloring page, etc. ‘Time waits’ are usually completed to fill extra time when they complete their given job.)
o Snack- As students finish their first/second job, they will be able to go to snack. Students can choose one food item and one drink from their lunch. They will go to the bathroom to wash their hands, bring their lunch box to the table and recite the dua before eating.
o Art-there will be an art activity that is related to the topic/unit that will be studying for that week.
o Math-In a small group, a math concept will be introduced by demonstrating the activity. Students will use concrete objects to have a better understanding of the concept being taught (counters, unfix cubes, etc.)
o Writing-In a small group, students will write about the topic being studied.
11:00-11:30 – Recess
- -Depending on the weather, the students will have recess outdoors or indoors.
11:30-12:00 – Lunch
- -wash their hands and recite the dua before eating.
12:00-1:00 - Center Time/Individual Reading
- -In this time, students will be reading to me or with me individually or in a small group. Phonics activities will be given in small group of children that will be completed with a teacher.
- -The rest of the class will be able to explore the centers in the classroom (library, listening, computer, blocks, dramatic area, math, art, puzzle, discovery, writing center). Please note that many of the centers have not been introduced to the students and they may not yet have access to them.)
1:00-1:30 – Handwriting/Calendar/Story
- Helper helps with the calendar (days of the week, finding patterns, counting, etc.) and completes the daily graph (weather, etc).
- Children practice proper formation and printing of letters using the school wide handwriting program Handwriting Without Tears.
1:30-3:00 – Arabic/Quran
3:00-3:15 - Snack "Quiet Time"
- Students eat a healthy snack – one fruit/vegetable, healthy item, and a drink
- read Surah Asr to end the day
Art – Monday with Ms. Nadia
*Please send in a smock or oversized t-shirt for your child to wear. Don’t forget to label the smock!
PE – Tuesday with Ms. Sabah
*Please send your child in sneakers and pants on PE days.
Juma Prayer – Every Friday @ 12:45
*Girls are required to purchase and wear a hijab from AFA
*Boys may bring a simple white prayer cap
**Please note: Schedule is subject to change due to specials.**