GENERAL TOPICS FOR SCIENCE PROJECT RESEARCH
1. A study of the acidity of different types and brands of milk
2. A study of the longevity of different brands of light bulbs
3. Air Pressure- Water Pressure
4. Analyze soil samples for their components, ability to hold moisture, fertility and pH
5. Best bridge structure for supporting weight
6. Compare the surface tension of various liquids
7. Conductivity of various liquids
8. Designing a strong bridge, an energy efficient home
9. Determine the accuracy of various thermometers
10. Different parachute designs and descent rates
11. Do black bottom pools keep the water warmer?
12. Do coins corrode more in salt or fresh water?
13. Does adding a solute affect the boiling point of a solution?
14. Does the type of soil affect the rate of water flow?
15. Does the type of soil affect water drainage?
16. Effects of Humidity- what happens to hair during periods of changing humidity? How does human hair compare to that of other animals? How do other materials compare in expansion and contraction.
17. Effects of increased concentrations on the rate of chemical reactions
18. Effects of salt and other contaminants on rate of rusting
19. Effects of temperature on viscosity of oil, chemical reactions, Brownian movement, burning of different materials.
20. Elasticity of rubber; effect of glue.
21. Electric Circuits- factors affecting voltage, amperage, resistance
22. Evaporation- which affects the rate of evaporation most- temperature, humidity, wind speed or other factors?
23. Expansion rates of different metals
24. Gears- compare efficiencies, effect of different lubricants
25. Growing crystals- factors that affect the rate and the size
26. Heat convection- Radiation of heat
27. Heat Retention- does fresh water hold heat longer than salt water? How does water compare to land and what effect does this have on the weather? What factors affect the cooling of land?
28. How a shadow changes throughout the day
29. How acid is our rain?
30. How can mirrors increase of solar cells’s voltage?
31. How can the strength of light be measured?
32. How colored filters affect fading
33. How do acids react with different metals under varying conditions
34. How do colored filters affect perceptions of colors of objects?
35. How do different surfaces absorb the sun’s energy?
36. How do different surfaces affect friction?
37. How do different types pf materials affect the boiling point of a solution?
38. How does angle of impact affect shape of droplets when they hit the ground?
39. How does height affect the shape of droplets when they hit the ground?
40. How does saturation affect crystal growth?
41. How does slope affect stream velocity?
42. How does the angle of the sun affect the temperature of land or water?
43. How does the color of an object affect its reflection and absorption of solar energy?
44. How does the number of cells affect the brightness of a light?
45. How does the number of cells affect the strength of an electromagnet?
46. How does the number of coils affect an electromagnet?
47. How does the pH of rain affect limestone?
48. How does the tail affect the flight of a kite?
49. How does the wattage affect the radiation of heat from a light bulb?
50. How increasing the number of batteries affects the speed of a motor
51. How much air space maximizes insulation in various materials?
52. How much heat is required to raise the temperature of various substances by an equal amount?
53. How much water is in different varieties of apples?
54. How temperature affects electricity generated by a solar cell
55. How temperature affects the height at which different balls bounce
56. How well do various materials absorb dye?
57. Insulation-best materials, thickness
58. Investigation of pH variations in soil
59. Is a monofilamernt fishing line as strong as the manufacturer’s claim?
60. Lenses- effects of curvature, materials on light beams
61. Magnets and electromagnets- What affects the strength of and electromagnet?
62. Pendulums- how can a period of a pendulum be increased?
63. Rain- can you measure the speed and force of raindrops?-What is the effect on soil, with and without ground cover? Could you simulate the effect of rain?
64. Separating pigments in ink using paper chromatography
65. Sunlight- how do different surfaces affect the amount of sunlight reflected and absorbed? Design a method of measuring how much sunshine is available each day.
66. Temperature- what is the difference between direct sun and in the shade? Is the difference constant?
67. The acceleration of falling objects
68. The effect of temperature on the strength of dry cells
69. The insulating value of various materials or combinations of materials
70. The pH of soaps
71. The strength of a magnet vs distance
72. The velocity of different liquids through the same size tubes
73. The velocity of water through different size tubes (same material)
74. The velocity of water through different tubes (same size, different material)
75. Thermal expansion of different materials
76. To what extent do different insulating materials affect heat loss or gain?
77. To what extent does depth affect water pressure?
78. To what extent does humidity affect evaporation?
79. To what extent does sunlight affect the temperature of soil?
80. To what extent does sunlight affect the temperature of water?
81. What affects the pitch of sound?
82. What conditions affect the rate that an iron nail will rust?
83. What effect does the shape of a prism have on the refraction of light?
84. What factors affect the bounce of a dropped ball?
85. What factors affect the period of a pendulum?
86. What factors affect the pitch of the sound produced by stringed instruments?
87. What is the effect of acid rain on aluminum?
88. What is the effect of design on the length of flight of a paper airplane?
89. What is the effect of different detergent solutions on the surface tension of water?
90. What is the effect of heat on the viscosity of a substance?
91. What is the effect of household liquids and powders on the indicator bromothymol blue?
92. What is the effect of light on a photovoltaic cell?
93. What is the effect of pH on a wet cell?
94. What is the effect of sliding friction on floor tiles?
95. What is the effect of structural design on the load held?
96. What is the effect of temperature on crystal growth?
97. What is the effect of temperature on evaporation?
98. What is the effect of the density of an object on its buoyancy?
99. What is the effect of the size of the iron core on the strength of an electromagnet?
100. What is the effect of the time of day on a shadow?
101. What is the effect of various salts on the freezing point depression of ice?
102. What kind (shape) of sail will make a boat go faster?
103. Which (tennis, golf, ping pong) ball bounces higher-cold or hot?
104. Which color container absorbs the most heat?
105. Which color container cools the quickest?
106. Which color of liquid absorbs the most heat?
107. Which homemade airplane design flies best?
108. Which material makes the best heat insulator?
109. Which materials can be charged with static electricity?
110. Which materials conduct electricity best?
111. Which metal conducts heat best?
112. Which metals conduct heat best?
113. Which substance is the best insulator?
114. Which type of materials conducts electricity best?
115. Which type of water evaporates fastest—salt, tap, or fresh?
116. Which type\size of light bulb produces the most light?