Strayer CH 13:
What kinds of changes were transforming West African agricultural village societies and those of the Iroquois as the fifteenth century dawned?
What role did Central Asian and West African pastoralists play in their respective regions?
How would you define the major achievements of Ming dynasty China?
What political and cultural differences stand out in the histories of fifteenth-century China and Western Europe? What similarities are apparent?
In what ways did European maritime voyaging in the fifteenth century differ from that of China? What accounts for these differences?
What differences can you identify among the four major empires in the Islamic world of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries?
What distinguished the Aztec and Inca empires from each other?
How did Aztec religious thinking support the empire?
In what ways did Inca authorities seek to integrate their vast domains?
In what different ways did the peoples of the fifteenth century interact with one another?
Strayer CH 14
What enabled Europeans to carve out huge empires an ocean away from their homelands?
What large-scale transformation did European empires generate?
What was the economic foundation of colonial rule in Mexico and Peru? How did it shape the kinds of societies that arose there?
How did the plantation societies of Brazil and the Caribbean differ from those of southern colonies in British North America?
What distinguished the British settler colonies of North America from their counterparts in Latin America?
What motivated Russian empire building?
How did the Russian Empire transform the life of its conquered people and of the Russian homeland itself?
What were the major features of Chinese empire building in the early modern era?
How did Mughal attitudes and policies toward Hindus change from the time of Akbar to that of Aurangzeb?
In what ways was the Ottoman Empire important for Europe in the early modern era?
Strayer CH 15:
What drove European involvement in the world of Asian commerce?
To what extent did the Portuguese realize their own goals in the Indian Ocean?
How did the Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch, and British initiatives in Asia differ from one another?
To what extent did the British and Dutch trading companies change the societies they encountered in Asia?
What was distinctive about the Atlantic slave trade? What did it share with other patterns of slave owning and slave trading?
What explains the rise of the Atlantic slave trade?
What roles did Europeans and Africans play in the unfolding Atlantic slave trade?
In what different ways did the Atlantic slave trade transform African societies?
Strayer CH 16
In what ways did the Protestant Reformation transform European society, culture, and politics?
How was European imperial expansion related to the spread of Christianity?
In what ways was European Christianity assimilated into the Native American cultures of Spanish America?
Why were missionary efforts to spread Christianity so much less successful in China than in Spanish America?
What accounts for the continued spread of Islam in the early modern era and for the emergence of reform or renewal movements within the Islamic world?
In what ways did Asian cultural changes in the early modern era parallel those of Europe, and in what ways were they different?
Why did the Scientific Revolution occur in Europe rather than in China or the Islamic world?
What was revolutionary about the Scientific Revolution?
In what ways did the Enlightenment challenge older patterns of European thinking?
How did nineteenth-century developments in the sciences challenge the faith of the Enlightenment?
In what ways was European science received in the major civilizations of Asia in the early modern era?
Ch 17 Strayer ?'s
1. How were the Spanish American revolutions shaped by the American, French, and Haitian revolutions that happened earlier?
2. What accounts for the end of Atlantic slavery during the nineteenth century?
3. How did the end of slavery affect the lives of the former slaves?
4. What accounts for the growth of nationalism as a powerful political and personal identity in the nineteenth century?
5. What were the achievements and limitations of nineteenth-century feminism?
6. In what respects did the roots of the Industrial Revolution lie within Europe? In what ways did that transformation have global roots?
7. What was distinctive about Britain that may help to explain its status as the breakthrough point of the Industrial Revolution?
8. How did the Industrial Revolution transform British society?
9. How did Britain's middle classes change during the nineteenth century?
10. How did Karl Marx understand the Industrial Revolution? In what ways did his ideas have an impact in the industrializing world of the nineteenth century?
Strayer?'s CH 18:
1. In what respects did the roots of the Industrial Revolution lie within Europe? In what ways did that transformation have global roots?
2. What was distinctive about Britain that may help to explain its status as the breakthrough point of the Industrial Revolution?
3. How did the Industrial Revolution transform British society?
4. How did Britain's middle classes change during the nineteenth century?
5. How did Karl Marx understand the Industrial Revolution? In what ways did his ideas have an impact in the industrializing world of the nineteenth century?
6. What were the differences between industrialization in the United States and that in Russia?
7. Why did Marxist socialism not take root in the United States?
8. What factors contributed to the making of a revolutionary situation in Russia by the beginning of the twentieth century?
9. In what ways and with what impact was Latin America linked to the global economy of the nineteenth century?
10. Did Latin America follow or diverge from the historical path of Europe during the nineteenth century?
Chapter 19 Strayer ?’s:
1. In what ways did the Industrial Revolution shape the character of nineteenth-century European Imperialism?
2. What contributed to changing European views of Asians and Africans in the nineteenth century?
3. What accounts for the massive peasant rebellions of nineteenth-century China?
4. What was the impact of Western pressures on China during the nineteenth century?
5. Why was China unable to respond effectively to mounting pressures from the West in the nineteenth century?
6. What lay behind the decline of the Ottoman Empire in the nineteenth century?
7. In what ways did the Ottoman state respond to its problems?
8. In what different ways did various groups define the Ottoman Empire during the nineteenth century?
9. How did Japan's historical development differ from that of China and the Ottoman Empire during the nineteenth century?
Chapter 20 Strayer ?’s:
1. In what different ways did the colonial takeover of Asia and Africa occur?
2. Why might subject people choose to cooperate with the colonial regime? What might prompt them to rebel or resist?
3. What was distinctive about European colonial empires of the nineteenth century?
4. How did the power of colonial states transform the economic lives of colonial subjects?
5. How did cash-crop agriculture transform the lives of colonized peoples?
6. What kinds of wage labor were available in the colonies? Why might people take part in it? How did doing so change their lives?
7. How were the lives of women altered by colonial economies?
8. Did colonial rule bring "progress" in its wake?
9. What impact did Western education have on colonial societies?
10. What were the attractions of Christianity within some colonial societies?
11. How and why did Hinduism emerge as a distinct religious tradition during the colonial era in India? In what way were "race" and "tribe" new identities in colonial Africa?
CH 21 Strayer ?'s:
1. What aspects of Europe's nineteenth-century history contributed to
the First World War?
2. In what ways did World War I mark new departures in the history of
the twentieth century?
3. In what ways was the Great Depression a global phenomenon?
4. In what ways did fascism challenge the ideas and practices of
European liberalism and
5. What was distinctive about the German expression of fascism? What was
the basis of popular
support for the Nazis?
6. How did Japan's experience during the 1920s and 1930s resemble that
of Germany, and how did
7. In what way were the origins of World War II in Asia and in Europe
similar to each other? How
were they different?
8. How did World War II differ from World War I?
9. How was Europe able to recover from the devastation of war?
Chapter 22 Strayer ?'s
1. When and where did communism exercise influence during the twentieth
2. Identify the major differences between the Russian and Chinese
3. Why were the Bolsheviks able to ride the Russian Revolution to power?
4. What was the appeal of communism in China before 1949?
5. What changes did communist regimes bring to the lives of women?
6. How did the collectivization of agriculture differ between the USSR
7. What were the achievements of communist efforts at industrialization?
What problems did these achievements generate?
8. Why did communist regimes generate terror and violence on such a
9. In what different ways was the cold war expressed?
10. In what ways did the United States play a global role after World War
11. Describe the strengths and weaknesses of the communist world by the
12. What explains the rapid end of the communist era?
13. How did the end of communism in the Soviet Union differ from
communism's demise in China?
Chapter 23 Strayer
1. What was distinctive about the end of Europe's African and Asian
empires compared to other cases of imperial disintegration?
2. What international circumstances and social changes contributed to
the end of colonial empires?
3. What obstacles confronted the leaders of movements for independence?
4. Was India's freedom struggle a success? Consider the question from
several points of view.
5. What was the role of Gandhi in India's struggle for independence?
6. What conflicts and differences divided India's nationalist movement?
7. Why was African majority rule in South Africa delayed until 1994,
whereas the overthrow of European colonialism had occurred much earlier in
the rest of Africa and Asia?
8. How did South Africa's struggle against white domination change over
9. Why was Africa's experience with political democracy so different
from that of India?
10. What accounts for the ups and downs of political democracy in
11. What obstacles impeded the economic development of third world
12. In what ways did thinking about the role of the state in the economic
life of developing countries change? Why did it change?
13. In what ways did cultural revolutions in Turkey and Iran reflect
different understandings of the role of Islam in modern societies?
Chapter 24 Strayer
1. What factors contributed to economic globalization during the
2. In what ways has economic globalization linked the world's peoples
more closely together?
3. What new or sharper divisions has economic globalization generated?
4. What distinguished feminism in the industrialized countries from that
of the Global South?
5. What distinguished feminism in the industrialized countries from that
of the Global South?
6. In what respect did the various religious fundamentalisms of the
twentieth century express hostility to global modernity?
7. From what sources did Islamic renewal movements derive?
8. In what respect did the various religious fundamentalisms of the
twentieth century express hostility to global modernity?
9. From what sources did Islamic renewal movements derive?
10. In what different ways did Islamic renewal express itself?
11. How can we explain the dramatic increase in the human impact on the
environment in the twentieth century?
12. What differences emerged between environmentalism in the Global North
and that in the Global South?