Mission of Lochburn Middle School
Lochburn is a safe and inclusive learning community which cultivates respect, responsibility, tolerance and leadership. We develop literate and discerning thinkers, communicators and citizens of integrity, empowering them to become active participants impacting their world.
Lochburn is a place where:
- The atmosphere is safe for students, parents, teachers, and businesses to work together to produce healthy, productive members of society.
- Staff, parents, and community contribute to both social and academic learning to help students succeed in a changing world.
- Students use technology as a tool for learning and research.
- Students use a variety of methods to develop skills, problem solving strategies, and confidence in reading, writing, and math.
Mission of YOUR library at Lochburn
School Library Information and Technology Programs for 21st Century Learning Mission: To ensure that students are effective users and producers of information and ideas
Three essential functions of Teacher-Librarians:
- Information Technology Instruction
- Reading Advocacy
- Information Management and Services
The scope and mix of these functions will depend on the program priorities and goals of each local school district and school building.
- Information and technology instruction
- Leads information literacy instruction including evaluation and analysis of the credibility, relevance and currency of information
- Coaches instructional staff in support of curriculum, information technology and information management
- Teaches students to be critical consumers and producers of information
- Teaches students and staff to use emerging learning technologies for school and lifelong learning
- Teaches students to be safe, ethical and responsible digital citizens
- Reading advocacy
- Establishes and models a powerful, fashionable and ubiquitous culture of reading in the school community
- Motivates and guides students to read for enjoyment and understanding
- Develops a relevant collection of fiction and non-fiction in a variety of formats, ensuring quality reading choices for all students
- Manages resources in support of established curriculum and student passions
- Information management and services
- Provides open and equitable access to resources, technology and information services for the entire school community
- Develops and administers inviting and effective physical and digital library environments
- Manages resources to support teaching and learning
- Administers information management systems to support student learning and school and district programs
The mission of the library media program is to ensure that students and staff are effective users and producers of ideas and information.
This mission is accomplished:
- by providing intellectual and physical access to materials in all format
- by providing instruction to foster competence and stimulate interest in reading, viewing, and using information and ideas
- by working with other educators to design learning strategies to meet the needs of individual students
-Information Power (1998, p.1)
American Association of School Librarians
Click here to access the complete PDF FIle of the AASL Standards